35. Scream

35. Scream

Wake up, Rei!

At the call, my eyes snapped open. And in front of me, crouched down to eye level, was none other than Rokudo Mukuro.

I flinched, but a pain shot up my side and I cringed, regretting the movement. I stayed still, waiting for the pain to slowly numb away.

"Ho?" he was amused, "You sensed me?" he asked, genuinely interested. This had never really happened before.

"Are you..." it was hard to speak, "Peeking into my mind?" I asked. There was no hostility in my tone. There was just plain curiosity.

"How did you guess?" he joked.

I tutted.

He chuckled his signature laugh. "Let's have a chat, Ninomiya Rei."

"Hah?" it came out of my mouth before I could think of drawing it back, "Why?" I groaned, not holding back the annoyance in my tone.

Mukuro simply laughed again. "I can tell," he explained, "I could tell from the first time I saw you--"

I shivered.

"You're like me." Mukuro smiles. A creepy, eerie grin that did not belong on his handsome features. It melted back down into a softer smile a second later, and he eyed me.

He stared at me like I was fascinating, and I could only weakly glare back in response.

Why is it that I did not feel fear as this man spoke to me? In fact, I felt just a bit calmed. I felt at ease. I felt...

"You and I are not the same," I chuckle back. "If you are the one that came back from the depths of hell--" My lips curled into a smirk. "I'm the one that returned from the depths of the Void."

That confused Mukuro.

"The Void?" he questions, his head tilting aside inquiringly. "And that is supposed to be...?"

I giggled. "Unlike you, I've never seen Dante's Inferno." I narrowed my eyes again, my laughter ceased. "So don't group me in with you, pineapple."

The man twitched in irritation. I smiled in delight. I could make a hobby of this. Pissing off Mukuro sounds dangerously fun.

But it seemed Mukuro did not like that idea. Not in the least. Mukuro extended a hand-- and put it on my head.

I eyed him curiously for a moment. Huh?

"Then," the adorably sweet smile was on his face again, and I felt a shiver down my spine.

And then I saw it. The kanji for One in his left eye.

Fuck-

"Would you like to see hell?"