116. Endure

116. Endure

"I apologize for doing this of my own accord." Kuma spoke with a sullen tone.

The phone on speaker, Takeshi, Tsuna and Gokudera were listening in bated breath. It was nearly midnight now, and they were getting ready to rest while they still could.

They had only just heard the news from Reborn-- the fact that the Vindice's unprecedented ambush had taken many casualties-- heavy injuries but none life-risking as far as he heard. Yamamoto's home phone had rung but a moment later, and it came from the hospital.

All Kuma told them was that Rei had gone into critical, and that they would proceed with a surgery for him right away.

"Will he make it?" Gokudera asked.

Takeshi held a breath. What if Rei didn't make it? Everything was in turmoil now, if Rei died in the middle of everything? Takeshi hadn't even gotten the opportunity to speak to Rei yet. Takeshi couldn't even bear to hear this-- why was this going on now? Why now?

"Of course," Kuma sounded oddly uplifting, "Rei's a strong child."

There was a stale silence-- it didn't seem any were convinced.

"Kunomasu-sensei!" Tsuna spoke up quickly, "Can we-- Can we entrust Rei to you?"

It seemed everyone was surprised by the boy's action-- Tsuna was trying his best to be strong. Yamamoto couldn't-- Yamamoto, the rain-- so Tsuna did. Everyone was having a hard time now-- but he was still trying to bring them back together. 

"I've looked after him for eight years," Kuma responded-- if they were there to see him, they'd point out his uncharacteristic smile, "You think I'd be willing to let him die now?"

It seemed that was enough as an assurance to Yamamoto. The boy cracked a smile, "I'll leave it to you then, Kuma-sensei!"

Kunomasu chuckled. "Do your best out there, all of you." Kuma said, "focus on winning that stupid game. Then come back and give Rei the angriest lecture all of you can muster, alright?"

"Definitely!"

-

-

-

Tsuyoshi did not cry.

He had been waiting for his son's-- and his friends'-- return from a hospital visit when Sae and Sui had burst into his store-- holding panicked, fearful looks-- and to Tsuyoshi's horror, they were caked in a crimson substance he did not want to name.

Sui was mortified, lagging behind her twin, her eyes stuck on the ground. Her eyes were wide, her grip on Sae's fist was tight. 

Sae was much more-- composed, if that was right to describe-- she was loud and frightful, running straight to Tsuyoshi and grabbing him by the edge of his shirt-- she tried her best to form a coherent sentence-- Dad, Father-- just now-- something like a grim reaper just--

Sui found her hand at his shirt-- clutched tight, and looked up. A plea she could not voice--

Tsuyoshi knew he wouldn't like what came next, but he really wasn't prepared for it.

Led toward a route not too far from here-- he saw Yuuichirou. The stench of iron mixed with-- disgust clouded the air and Tsuyoshi choke back the bile that began to build up. Covering his mouth, he resisted the urge to close his eyes and look away. 

Yuuichirou was on the ground, but his blood was not simply in a puddle under him. It was splashed across the walls-- a struggle, Tsuyoshi guessed, a desperate battle. But the enemy was nowhere to be seen. Yuuichirou, on the other hand, was passed out on the ground... 

...passed out? Tsuyoshi was a little too hopeful.

-

-

-

"I see."

Sae's reaction to the news was appalling in itself. She had a hurt look on her face-- scrunched up in displeasure, a face that cried without tears-- her eyes were watery and her lips were quivering-- but she forced out a response with a voice that was monotonous.

Sui was less accepting of the reality.

"You're lying," her voice was crackling, "Amano-sensei, you're lying--" the tears were streaming down her face. Her hold on Sae's hand was released and she pounded a fist to Amano's stomach, "please tell me you're lying!"

In the ER, a few heads turned in concern-- Amano simply bit his lip and failed to find himself any words to use. Sui's punches didn't even hurt. Sui already knew-- she was simply trying to escape the shattering reality of the situation.

Tsuyoshi stood by the side, unable to comfort the girls because he could barely compose himself. He held a hand at his temples-- and struggled to organize his thoughts.

Amano looked like he'd been through a lot-- his eyes were sagged and red-- like he'd just spent the past while bawling his eyes out-- until the waterworks just wouldn't come anymore-- 

"I'm sorry, Sui," he could only manage a soft, broken tone. "I'm sorry, Sae."

Crouching down, he hugged Sui tight as she cried out loud, wailing her hardest-- and Sae burst into tears, her sniffles unstoppable and whines escaping her throat.

Amano was calm in the midst of it. 

The doctors still hadn't told them about Rei going into critical condition.

"Sui, Sae," Amano was hesitating now. He swallowed his words, but he persisted. He had to say it-- he needed to do it. Now.

Sui quieted down, but stayed in his arms as she struggled to breathe through her cries. 

"Could I... ask a few favours from the both of you?" he looked ready to cry for a moment.

His eyes meeting Tsuyoshi's for a moment-- Tsuyoshi's eyes widened in horror as he realized what Amano's intentions were.

"Don't tell anyone yet," Amano told them, making himself say the words, "about Yuuichirou. Not Takeshi-nii, not even Rei-chan, Onee-chan. Don't tell them yet."

Sae and Sui lifted their heads curiously-- the question was clear. 

"Takeshi-nii is busy." Amano told them. He forced himself into a more playful tone-- "Probably fighting the same people that took your Dad. You won't wanna distract him, would you?"

A pained expression marring the twins, they nodded because they understood.

"Promise?" Amano whispered.

Sui choked out a strangled "I promise," her voice broken with sorrow. Sae gave a hum-- all she could muster now.

"Then," Amano spoke again, hugging Sui tighter now-- "I have one more favour."

He hesitated, he wavered, he didn't want to do this-- what was he making Sae and Sui go through? They were only twelve, they didn't need to face this. They didn't deserve a single bit of this nonsense, and yet Amano was here bringing them through the mill for the selfishness of adults. This was absurd, in all forms.

Cruel.

"Hey, Sae, Sui," Amano found himself choking back tears. He took a moment, a deep breath.

Sae and Sui turned to him. 

"Hey, Sae, Sui," his voice cracked mid-sentence, "Could you give me Yuuichirou's lungs?"