56. Summation

56. Summation

It was a great day after that. 

I woke up, cuddled against a sleeping Lambo who bounced up excitedly once he awoke. After a final checkup, he was released from the hospital. And after a long, angry lecture from Amano, I was let go as well.

It was a happy day.

A day where good things happened and peace settled on the town. The Ring Conflict had gone by without me even seeing it conclude-- and although that felt a little sad and unfulfilling, it all mattered that another arc of the story was over and done with. 

It was a delightful day.

It would've, if I hadn't bumped into a blond-haired prince on my way out the hospital. 

When I knocked into someone, my initial reaction was to quickly steady myself and apologize. However, I caught sight of his clothes and froze right there and then-- I felt the atmosphere grow colder as I slowly lifted my eyes--

"Ushishishi, I guess we meet again, baby weakling." came the almost affectionate name calling.

I gulped. The color on my face probably paled out quickly as I took an instinctive, circumvent step backwards-- only to bump into a larger figure at my back. Stumbling forward quickly in fear, I realize my left and right sides were sealed as well.

I had been surrounded in an instant, with Leviathan on my back; Squalo (who in fact still looked quite menacing despite being on a wheelchair) to my left; Lussuria (who by some magical force of nature recovered enough to stand on crutches) to my right; and none other than Prince the Ripper looming before me.

I was unable to keep calm. The edges of my lips curled up in anything but joy, twitching in spasms and trembling nervously as I contemplated the stupidity of all my life choices.

"Look, he's all scared again." Lussuria sounded almost delighted, using his slurred tone, enjoying the sight of my shivering limbs.

Levi let out a bemused huff; and Squalo tutted irritably.

"Can't believe this kid," Squalo scowled, "If I could, I'd be biting your head off."

"Why? Because he predicted your awesome loss?" Belphegor taunted in jest, earning a sharp howl from Squalo in hostility. 

I hated standing do small a presence in the middle of it all, especially because their attention easily drifted to and away from me. 

"I-" the first time I spoke up, all conversation abruptly halted and all eyes turned. Even Xanxus who stood aside cast his glance at me. I flinched, my voice stuck in my throat as a sudden wave of panic washed over. 

"Stage fright?" Eve laughed, "That's nothing to worry about!" 

"You'll never understand, Eve," Drew pouted, "You're good at everything, after all."

"Listen here, Drew." Eve chuckled, fitting his clown mask on and picking out Drew's from its little box-- "You don't feel nervous at all during our performances. Why is that?"

"Well that's different!" Drew snapped back, "I'm anonymous as a clown! No one know who I am, so I can do things as I want and-" she stopped short. Turning away and puffing up her cheeks she quietly mumbled, "...and I'm more confident."

Handing Drew her mask, Eve grinned. "That's your answer."

I gulped, closing my eyes and clenching my fist-- biting my lip-- then breathing out.

I first turned to Squalo. "I'm really sorry for what I said on the day of the Rain Ring Battle," I honestly didn't now why I decided to apologize, "I was being overly cocky despite being much weaker than you. For that, I apologize."

They seemed taken aback. 

"You're a pussy," Squalo could only snarl. 

Hearing that harsh comment, Lussuria chuckled. "Why did you apologize, boy?" he was being the least hostile of them all-- which I was grateful for-- and in fact almost sounded to me nice and curious. 

"We're killers," Belphegor giggled, "Maybe he's begging for his life." 

It was a casual joke that, as per the Varia were, no one except Belphegor laughed at. But the comment seemed to sound ultimately foreign. These incredulously amusing bastards Drew's known as idiots in her past life-- but it was easy to forget that they were cold-blooded murderers. 

But now-- I wasn't fearing them for that. I didn't exactly fear that they would kill me. I didn't fear for my life at all. That's not what I'm afraid of. 

...so what exactly am I scared of now?

Could I imagine a blade at my throat-- could I imagine myself dying right here at the hands of these so called 'killers'? Could I imagine myself dying?

Death, eh? 

No, not at all.

I'm alive ten years later. So whatever idiocy and whatever craziness I end up in before those ten years-- it won't kill me. Nothing can kill me yet.

Until ten years later, at least-- I'm immortal.

My eyes landed on Xanxus. His eyes, upon meeting mine, narrowed in a sort of annoyance. 

I gave him a low bow. "Thank you for not dying," I chose my words off the top of my head, "Thank you for not killing me," I told them, "nor any of my other friends." 

Next I lifted my head, I found myself grinning mischievously. 

"But y'know, Drew," Eve gave her a pat on the back before it was her turn, "When all else goes down the drain, make yourself scarce and immediately retreat."

"Well then," I smiled, Sae's cheeky, innocence-filled smile, "if you would excuse me."

-

Varia

And once the brown boy had gone, Xanxus burst out into guffaws. Holding his head and chortling in absolute resigned laughter.

"The gall of that boy!" he couldn't believe. 

Eventually he ceased, but he brought the anger into a fist and drove it deep into the wall by his side. The paintwork on the wall cracked open and split apart-- Pain exploded in his fist-- but he could care less. 

"Next time--" Xanxus' eyes were held in a solid murderous glare-- his brows in a crunched frown and in no mood for jokes-- "Next time, that brat's dead."

It was one stern, strict order-- no, not an order, not quite. It was purely and simple a statement. 

The rest of the Varis looked at their boss-- for a moment, they all seemed to be reminded of their loyalty to him. Their reason of being with him. And they smirked in pride.

"Yes Boss."   "As you command, Boss."

"Understood, Boss."   "'course, Boss."

"As you wish, Boss."

-

Rei

Simply I headed for the Sawada Household, where Mama Sawada had been in care of my sisters. 

"REI-CHAAAAAN!!"

Upon opening the door, Sae leaped at me, barreling into my stomach and throwing my ff balance. I staggered and took a step back-- only to find myself tripping over the curb and-- ended up on the ground, on my back.

I sigh.

Sae laughs, "Rei-chan fell for it again!"