66. Dread

66. Dread

(POV: Rei)

It was night time. In the hour of the ox, Drew would've called it. I stayed up late, unable to sleep. Sitting down on the sofa with a mug of hot chocolate, I stared at nothing for a long while.

It was boring now, with Tsuna and gang ahead in the future.

I let out a cough. It led to a long bout of coughing-- quickly, I got up and headed towards the kitchen. Pulling open the third cabinet from the left of the sink, I took out my bottle of pills.

Downing my pills as quickly as I could, I let out another bout of coughs before I stopped.

"Rei-chan?"

I jumped.

Tucking the pills behind my back, I spun around to see Sae and Sui, one of them hugging a purple caterpillar pillow in her arms and the other rubbing her eyes tiredly.

"Goodness, what are the two of you doing up so late?" rushing over and casually leaving the bottle by the sink, I ushered my girls back to bed.

I didn't catch Sui glancing at the bottle.

-

-

"Sorry to say but your condition really isn't looking well." Amano said grimly, not once meeting my eyes in few of seeing my reactions-- "The medicine we've given you has been helping, but honestly speaking I'm not so sure if we can keep helping you."

It's been ages since I've had to come so close to the reality that I was a sickly person.

"Not saying this to be mean or insensitive--" Kunomasu spoke up, "You should really consider recuperating indefinitely in the hospital."

At that-- I could do nothing but look down, grip my knees, and bite my lip.

-

-

"Hey, Rei-chan?"

I was simply staring at the ceiling, unable to get a wink of rest-- when Sui spoke up beside me. Snuggling close to my side, her eyes were open, but droopy in a sort of sulky way.

Sae was asleep, curled over her purple caterpillar body pillow-- and it seemed nothing could wake her up now. Rolling over to face Sui, I let myself smile.

"What is it, Sui?" I asked.

"Rei-chan, are you going to leave?" her question made my heart stop, "Will you leave Sui and Sae alone again?"

I could only manage a strained chuckle. "Of course not," I denied, "Why would I?"

I wonder what was the best answer I could have said at the time?