33. Attack

33. Attack

"Hey, when you want to cry, just cry.Until your tears are all dried up, it's okay to cry.It's okay not to pretend to be strong, because we'll just become stronger."

-The Rain's Message / Ame no Message (Yamamoto Takeshi's Character Song)

------

"Sae, Sui, no."

The two eyed me with their teary gazes, begging and pleading with what they know was my weakness. But I've learned to remain unfazed. I gave them a sharp, stern, unmoved,

"No."

Cue the tears.

"I am NOT buying you girls ice cream! You already had two!" I scolded.

-------

The girls held hands, giggling as we made our merry way towards home. Dad was out to... France, was it? and he wouldn't be back for another three days. And so, we decided to eat out at a Family Restaurant.

"Rei-kun!" the lady from the flower shop called on me as she was closing up shop.

"Yes, Hanae-san?" I asked as we made our way over there curiously.

She looked a little worried. Hanae was in her early twenties, and she had been a great help to our livelihoods when Mama Lula was still taking care of us. She was like another mother to us, I guess.

"Rei-kun, it's really dark out. I don't think it's safe to walk the rest of the way home..." she was genuinely concerned, "Did you hear? Yesterday, people from your school were attacked just nearby!"

People are getting attacked?

"That's... worrying." I managed to answer.

"That's the least of my worries!" she was frantic now, "Rei-kun, I heard that their injuries aren't just cuts and scrapes and bruises, they're promised in the hospital for a week, at least!" she reprimanded slightly, "Just for today, could I drive you guys home, please?"

They targeted the stronger people in school.

To be perfectly honest, I think I'm in the clear. I don't think I'll be attacked. Even if I was, they didn't start attacking normal students until Monday, I think. Today's Sunday, so it'll probably be alright.

Holding a firm grip on my sisters' hands, I smiled.

"It's alright, Hanae-san!" I assured her, "Sae and Sui have me, and I have Sae and Sui. We're together,so it'll be alright!" I chuckle. "Hanae-san, you look like you've had a long day, so why don't you get some rest? You deserve it."

Hanae was at a loss of words, "But- Rei-kun... I'm fine! I'm just- Rei-kun!"

I chuckled. "It'll be alright, Hanae-san!"