58. Lull

58. Lull

Before I know it, a fragment of loneliness that was supposed to be extinguished closes up before my eyes and sneers at me.  

...

By turning myself into something so humble, what did I think I was protecting? I'm but a clown lost in a forest of confusion.  

-Swear to (Oz Vessalius, Pandora Hearts)

-

"Ninomiya Sae, here!" chirped the red-eyed girl, raising a hand in a salute, her tone loud and confident and maybe a tad obnoxious.

"Ninomiya Sui, here." came the soft, mellow tone of the blue-eyed girl. The voice that probably no one believed could ever sound sharp and stern.

"Fujimiya Rururi, here!" the third voice was sharp and serious, the girl with dark hazel eyes was completely absorbed into the role of a soldier.

"At ease!" I declared, and with one synchronized huff their hands shot back down to their sides.

I chuckle.

Handing them each a large bag corresponding their their colours, I watched their eyes sparkle in amazement as Sae wondered out loud if she could actually fit a puppy in there if she found one.

"The shopping list is inside the bag, along with the amount of cash needed. I've also put in some extra in case you need more. I trust you know what to do?" I instructed them calmly, bringing my smile to my face.

They nodded in unison. "Of course!" Sae and Rururi cheered.

And so my girls left for their errands by themselves.

It was quiet again in the Ninomiya Household.

-

"Hey, Rei, have you seen the kid anywhere?" 

Takeshi's phone call was a surprising thing to receive in the middle of the day, especially when it was a boring day off where there was no school and nothing up.

"The kid?" I had to ask, trying to reach for a box of cereal at the back of the high cabinet.

"Y'know, the one that wear a black hat? The one always with Tsuna?"

"Oh, Reborn-kun." I recalled, "Why? did something happen?"

"Apparently he's gone missing or something. We're all pretty worried and are searching for him at the moment." Takeshi explained. At this point he didn't exactly sound any different from his usual tone. He must be believing that they were playing hide and seek. 

"Sorry, Takeshi." tucking the phone between my cheek and my shoulder, I gathered empty boxes in my hands, "I haven't seen him around. I'm sure he's fine though. He's Reborn, after all."