121. Path

121. Path

"Yo!" a spirited voice greeted at the doorway.

Putting his book down to abruptly lift his head-- Rei knew who it was a second before their eyes met. "Takeshi!" and he sounded so happy, "I haven't seen you since you were discharged!"

Rei placed the book-- something thick, probably a novel-- beside his pillow, closing it without placing on a bookmark, he turned his full attention to the newcomer.

Takeshi took note of that. "Oh, you weren't reading?" he wondered on a casual note, stepping into the room and closing the door behind him.

"Couldn't focus on it," Rei chuckled slightly, "kinda felt like a waste of time, y'know?"

A waste of time.

Rei wasn't one to immerse in books like a bookworm, Takeshi knew. But Rei enjoyed books and stories as much as any other child relatively smart in the language-- calling it a waste of time? That was new.

And if it was about Rei, nothing was new for Takeshi.

So this is what Nurse Fujimiya meant, he realized. Seems like coming alone was the right choice.

He raised a plastic bag, "brought some sushi for ya, by the way," he grinned, "up for some?"

Rei smiled back with a little teeth.

 -

"Ehh, Tsuna finally came to terms with it?" 

Rei dropped a salmon into his mouth, munching as he looked at Takeshi eagerly, curiously awaiting an answer--

"Rather than coming to terms, we're just holding back the topic for a bit," Takeshi explained, his mouth half full with rice but for some reason his pronunciation was perfect, "the boss number nine grandfather guy said he wanted us to finish our studies up till high school, so that's the plan."

"Woah, does that mean you'll be moving to Italy once you graduate?" Rei sounded ecstatic, "That's so cool! You'll get to live in the Vongola Mansion and all, I bet it's super cool."

Takeshi laughed, "well, we'll be having the Re-Inheritance Ceremony on Tsuna's eighteenth birthday, apparently. Oh, don't tell him we're planning that."

Rei giggled, "it's alright, isn't it? Tsuna's ain't got the guts to ditch it."

Takeshi laughed, definitely agreeing.

Rei leaned back onto the backrest, his smile growing tired and his eyes softening in a little sadness. "I've... missed a lot," he grimly realized. 

"Not too much to be a problem," Takeshi assured.

He sat down beside the brown-haired boy-- on the bed, leaning over the mobile hospital bed table to open the sushi. 

They had a moment of comfortable silence.