44. Recovered

44. Recovered

"Have a safe trip home." Amano waved, a warm smile on his face as he bid me goodbye. "I really hope you don't come back anytime soon."

"Wow, Amano-sensei, do you hate me that much?" I acted hurt.

"Oh, how'd you figure?" was the delightedly sarcastic reply from the doctor.

Dad rolled his eyes, "I swear, Amano," he groaned, slinging a shoulder over me and tugging me closer. He scowled at Amano, "Act your age, dammit."

And Amano pouted, "Don't act so snobby just cause you're young," he whined childishly, despite being the oldest in us all. "At the very least-" he glared, "I stayed in school, unlike a certain college dropout I know."

"Hey, I didn't drop outta college!" dad retorted.

"Who's the genius that knocked up a woman when he was eighteen?"

"Who's the moron that failed his degree twice??"

"Hey, at least I have a stable job!"

"Well, you're still single!"

------

The two adult were bickering like children, and although their quarrel sounded interesting I decided to just take my bag and walk on ahead towards the car.

It took a month for my injuries to heal enough so the doctors let me out. I was definitely not back in top condition yet, but I was well enough to continue on with my life. My arm was no longer in a cast, but I had to wear a support at my wrist. 

When I settled down in the passenger seat, a pair of arms wrapped around my neck from behind.

I jumped in surprise, but breathed out in relief when I realized it was just Sui.

"Rei-chan," she spoke up softly. Her voice, as it always was, rang in a soothing, calming tone-- it reminded me of soft, gentle water ripples.

"Hm?" I asked, closing my eyes and leaning back, a hand at her arm. "What is it, Sui?"

Sui rested her chin at the crook of my neck. "Welcome Home, Rei-chan." she whispered.

I smiled.

"I'm Home, Sui."

-------

"Welcome Home!" Sae greeted me with a bright smile when I got back. She stood at the front door, having been waiting there for a while now.

"I'm Ho-" I started, but was interrupted but the loud crash of our front door flying open.

Everyone just spilled out, toppling over in a mess of limbs and crashing into a flurry of tangles. Then, Takeshi laughed. "Welcome Home, Rei!" he said.