39. Faint

39. Faint

All my senses were fully focused on controlling my flames. They were so concentrated, my whole body's functions were limited to making my organs work and my blood pump.

I managed to gather my senses, but I had no idea how long had already passed since Mukuro left the room. I found myself leaned against the back of the couch on the stage. I was slumped against it heavily, my limbs lay limp beside me, and no longer obeyed orders.

Breathing was all I could do.

My eyes drifted to the black wristband on my wrist, and sighed. The Void Ring was still lit, the black flames blazing strongly-- but now I was worried for a different matter altogether.

The Dying Will Flame is a  high-density form of energy refined from one's own life force, Drew's knowledge helpfully supplied. It runs on your life.

As this goes, on, Rei grimly realized, I might experience overusage.

What happens when you use up your life force? Do people die? Can people stay alive even after they've used up their life force? Can I?

Seeing as how my breathing was steadily getting difficult, my stamina was running dry. I'm not even sure how I had stamina to keep them up for this long. I'm literally a dead body now--

"Hm, You're awake?" Mukuro's voice startled me as he suddenly made himself known behind me. He was sitting down casually on the couch, looking at me over his shoulder.

Mukuro sits on the couch, a smug smile on his face--

"Well, I thought I'd let you in on the climax, too." Mukuro said in a half-joking tone. He eyed me with eyes that looked down on the weak-- and I had no energy to muster up a glare in return.

This scene is...

My thoughts were abruptly interrupted as felt something rise up my throat--and suddenly, I retched, feeling a warm, thick liquid burst out from within. My hand shot up on instinct, but the bitter taste of bile instantly filled my mouth--

And I was vomiting.

Blood, bile-- what else, stomach Acid? Well, that was disgusting.

Seeing that, Mukuro frowned in distaste. He materialized his trident, speaking to me casually. "It'd honestly be easier on you if you just die now," he suggested, nudging his trident at me. "Do I receive the honour?"

And he didn't seem like he was joking. He had on an irritated scowl.

(Well, what a gentleman you are, Drew joked. He's right, though.)

Hiding myself behind the couch, I wiped my mouth clean with my sleeve-- ew-- and closed my eyes. I focused my flames into my bodily functions again. My eyes clenched shut and my throat ached--