50. Cold

50. Cold

"Rei! What are you doing here?"

Tsuna spotted me easily from a distance away, seated at the steps of the school doors, taking a short nap as Reborn went to fetch Tsuna.

I yawned. "Hm? Reborn-kun asked me to come, so I came."

"Reborn!" Tsuna whined.

"Hm?" Takeshi crouched down beside me, "What's that on your face, Rei? You got hurt?"

My hand reached up to the plaster Reborn had stuck on my face. I chuckled dryly to Takeshi, "Yeah. Kinda scratched my face when I fell down just now." I lied, "Reborn patched me up."

"He's lying," Reborn quickly cut in, "that guy up there picked a fight." He was flat and blunt, completely dismissing the mortified face I was dishing out at him.

"That true, Rei?" Takeshi raised an eyebrow. He looked me straight in the eyes, an interrogative, skeptical, face as he eyes me intently.

I turn away, deliberately and obviously avoiding his eyes.

"Rei," Takeshi's sharp tone made me jump. I turn to him, and he's glaring now. Glaring at me, with that serious face he had never directed at me before. "Tell me the truth."

I pout. "Reborn just said it." I begrudgingly tell him, "That guy suddenly started fighting, and I was just dodging knives. Nothing more, I swear!"

"Dodging knives?" Gokudera sounded surprised, "From a professional hitman?" he inched closer to me at each word, his tone getting more and more exaggerated, "and you only got off with a scratch?"

I chuckled. "I have good reflexes."

"This is beyond the level of that!"

"I mean, Tsuna can probably dodge bullets as easily." I said grimly, "When your life's on the line you just kinda scream and run around and hope you don't actually get hit, y'know."

"You don't make sense."

"You're welcome."

"ANYWAY," Tsuna raised his voice to intervene. He turned to me, concern on his face-- "Are you really alright, Rei? I don't care what Reborn told you, but please, could you go home right now?"

"Ehhhhh??" I whine exaggeratedly.

Takeshi chopped me on the head. "Go home." he simply said.

When I looked up, I flinched.

Takeshi was staring down at me, his brows scrunched up in irritation and his lips twisted into a frown.

"Go home." he repeated, "Now." and this time there was an emphasis on the tone.

I felt shivers down my spine.

By the side, Tsuna eyed the both of us worriedly.

My fist tightened, and my head drooped down. I bit my bottom lip and didn't look up toward Takeshi. I lifted my head slightly-- and dipped it right back down. A nod.