61. Chess

61. Chess

(POV: Rei)

"I'm home..." 

I heard Sui call from the front door. She and Sae had gone out to play today, and it surprised me that only Sui's voice was heard from the front. 

Putting down the spatula at the side, I flipped off the heat and rubbed my hands at my apron. 

"Welcome back, Sui..." I looked over-- and stopped short. Sui looked down guiltily, and she was covered in light scratches and caked all over in mud. Behind her, a boy older than her, with red hair and wearing glasses, stood there with Sae on his back.

"I'm home, Rei-chan!" Sae raised her arms cheerfully. She had a wide smile on her face, but from her movement I could notice she had more scratches on her than Sui did. There was a large one at her left knee.

My eyes narrowed at the boy. Catching my gaze, he flinched. 

Sae's arms were wrapped around his neck, and they only tightened when the red-haired boy shot back in fear. Sae made sure the boy got his balance before she growled at me.

"Hey, Rei-chan!" she snapped.

Biting my lip, I rushed back into the kitchen for the first aid kit.

-

"Oh, so you helped them get back?" I chuckle, "Sorry, I thought you were the culprit!" 

I wasn't in the mood for jokes, so my strained laughter only made Irie Shouichi much more afraid of me. 

Sae kicked me in the face with her uninjured leg. "Rei-chan, stop threatening Shou-chan!" she pouted. "Be more polite!"

"Ahaha--" I faked a laughter-- then grabbed her leg out of the air. "I really don't want to hear anything about being polite from a girl with her leg in the air."

Sae only pouted after that.

"Also, what's this I hear? You got into a fight with a dog, literally with punching and kicking and all??" I couldn't help my tone, "Why and exactly how?? You could've gotten seriously hurt, Sae!" 

"It was bullying Sui!" Sae argued.

"You didn't need to punch back!" I retorted. 

"You would've done the same!"

Just then, Sui gave both of us a smack at the back of our heads with rolls of newspaper.

"Ow!" we both whined. Upon turning to her, our breaths held.

Her face was dark. Her eyes were empty and cold-- and sharpened in absolute rage. Sui was wearing the most murderous glance I've ever seen her have.

She commanded a sharp and definitive order: "Shut. Your. Mouths."

"Yes, Ma'am!!" Sae and I shrieked in unison.