24. Condition

24. Condition

"I'm heading over to Takeshi's to help him with homework again," I called to the ones who were eating breakfast in the dining room. "I'll be back in the evening, and there's cake in the fridge. Don't eat all of it at once! Dad, call me if anything happens!" I yell out.

It was the weekend, a bright, beautiful morning of my not-so mundane life. Fixing the hairclips on my head, I stepped into my sneakers and opened the front door.

"Rei, sometimes I wonder if you're the adult of this household." Dad whined, holding his mug of coffee at the doorway to see me out.He sighed, his bangs hanging over his face, his blue eyes tired, dressed in his sleepwear.

"Have fun, Rei-chan!" Sae calls happily, waving at me from the dining room as well. Her hair was all over the place, as she had just woken up, but her smile was so, so bright it could still blind a thousand men.

"Ah, I have to go too-" Sui stands up quickly, finishing up her hot chocolate, a bag on her shoulders. The blue ribbon in her hair jumping at each step, she quickly made her way beside me, slipping on her shoes.

Sui, in fact, had an inter-schools chess competition today. She was the youngest child in the faction her club signed her up for, but well, let's just say I never won against her in chess.

I peck Sui's forehead briefly with my lips. "Good luck, Sweetie."

Sui blushed. She instantly looked down and held her forehead, her face flushed an adorable shade of Magenta. She managed to hum an "uhn" in response.

"Have I ever told you, Rei," Dad spoke up, "That you act like a Mom more than your Mom did?"

"Eh?" I had to wonder. This was the first time Dad mentioned Mom, but I was more affected by what he said. "What do you mean, I act like a mom?"

"Exactly what it means." Dad replies.

"Dad, that doesn't explain any-"

"AAah!" Sae suddenly screeches at the clock, "Sui, you're gonna be late for the bus!" she yells out in alarm.

That got us two rushing out the door in a flurry of "I'm off"s.

-----

Surprising myself, I had lied to my family. It never feels good to lie, especially if it's concerning yourself. After all, going to Takeshi's for homework was a big, fat lie.

A cruel, but necessary lie.

I was headed to the hospital today.

Why? Well, simply because it's evident that something is wrong with me, my lungs, and my life.

I let out another cough.

-----

When the nurse called my name, I stood up from my seat, and walked the ever-so familiar route towards the same old examination room.