43. Coincidence

43. Coincidence

Hospitals are impossibly boring, especially if you've been stuck in one for three weeks now.

"Your legs are healed now, but that does NOT mean you can just scamper off!" Head Nurse Fujimiya reprimanded angrily. "I swear, if you continue on like this, I WILL tell Amano-san about this!"

I pouted. "But if I can't even walk around, moss is gonna grow outta my head." I whine.

"Yes, we don't need your brain!" Nurse Fujimiya retorted, "We need less of your plans to escape from this hospital room!" she complained. "Christ, I will personally chain you down to your bed!"

"That's child abuse."

"I have full authority and permission to do so, with a signed letter from your father, sisters, and friends." Nurse Fujimiya explained.

"Wait, what?"

-----

Well, isn't that cruel? They're all teaming up to bully me!

Picking up the canned coffee from the vending machine, I popped it open and sipped on it.

Still not enough to make me stay in the room, though.

I wandered about the hospital room, my arm still in a cast. I wandered, shivering at the cold of the hospital air conditioners.

It was quiet.

Hospitals were always quiet, to my pleasure. It gave me time to relax. My Void Ring hung around my neck, and as I passed by the glass windows, it glinted as it reflected sunlight.

It's already been two weeks since I first woke up.

And since then, I haven't done a thing. No magic tricks, no pointless studies, no walking to school and no fighting Hibari. No naps in the school infirmary. No nothing.

Walking out of the hospital and into the courtyard, I sighed.

"Drew," I mumbled to myself, sitting down on the park bench, under a shady tree. "Drew."

Drew, are you there? I asked, as if I expected a reply.

I placed the can of coffee beside me and clutched the Void Ring in my fist, bringing it closer to my face.

"Drew," I spoke again, calling out to her.

I can still feel her, somewhere deep within. She's not gone. She's not gone-- but she wasn't going to show herself any time soon.

"[Your survival was an absolute miracle], huh." I quoted what Kuma told me yesterday, my voice laced in sarcastic amusement, "Drew, were you the one?"

Drew, were you the one that kept me alive?

How? With the Night Flames? Or-?

Night Flames.

I've tried over and over again the past days, but not a single time was I able to light it. I no longer had the deathperation to light a dying will Flame.