26. Parents

26. Parents

Today was Parent's Participation Day.

"You really don't need to come, Dad." I said, chewing on my rice.

Dad was so shocked he dropped his chopsticks. "Rei-chan," he sounded like I just broke his heart, putting on a- oh god, here it comes- pained expression on his face. "You don't... want me there?"

I sighed. "There's nothing to see, Dad." I told him.

"It's to make up for all the ones I missed because of work!" he begged, literally on his knees now, "I've only seen you in class once in your entire life! I'm a failure as a dad!"

I twitched, "Christ, Dad." I groaned, "I told you, I don't mind at all!" I whined, "Or really, I much rather you not show up. You're rarely home as you are, and you rarely have the weekdays off. You came home at five this morning, didn't you?"

"I wanted to make it today..." he had small tears at the corner of his eyes now, as if he was a puppy getting scolded for chewing a shoe. "So I rushed home last night and-"

"And I want you to have some proper rest for once, Dad." I reprimanded him. Steel you heart, Rei. Don't give in to the puppy eyes. "I don't want you to come if it means you'll miss out on your much needed rest!"

"But--"

"No buts, Dad!" I cut him off, "I want you to sleep, seriously, have you seen yourself in a mirror? You look like a panda right now." I emphasized myself strongly. "This is an order. SLEEP!"

------

I sighed. After sending my sisters off, I walked the rest of the way to school.

Honestly, Dad has no idea. He worries me more than Sae and Sui, and he often acts more childish than them! Who's the real adult here?

Last time he managed to come to Parent's Participation Day, he showed up like a fucking host. He was drenched by the drizzle outside, his hair swiped back and his suit jacket slung casually over his shoulder. He wore on a perfect smile on his handsome features-- okay, who are you trying to charm, hot stuff? Everyone, apparently.

I had to physically remove him from the classroom before he got buried by fangirls begging for his number or a picture. I'm betting my dad has a secret fanclub even among the townspeople.

I sighed.

I hate Parent's Participation Day.

------

The parents' light chattering filled the back of the classroom as they smiled at each other and talked about their families. When I stepped in, another conversation topic was added.

"My, isn't that Rei-kun from the Ninomiya House?" one held a hand over her mouth, "He's grown!"

"Oh, have you seen his latest live show?" a younger mother spoke up, "He never fails to entertain me!"