42. Recuperate

42. Recuperate

Ninomiya Rei

The first one to notice I was awake was none other than Takeshi.

He had been sleeping at the side of the bed, leaned against the railings. He drowsily lifted his head, rubbed the sleep out of his eyes and-- turned briefly to me.

"REI!" he called a little too loudly, instantly pushing himself up toward the bed and trying to make sure he wasn't hallucinating here. He looked frantic, he looked worried, and well, I've seen that face too many times to be concerned about it.

"Hey, Takeshi." I smiled in greeting.

Seeing that, Takeshi let out a little sigh as his expressions softened into a mild smile. And when he greeted me, that casual grin was back on his face.

"Good morning, Rei."

------

------

And now, Sae and Sui were bawling.

I was honestly worried about the bandages on my chest getting wet, but I couldn't exactly find a reason or way to stop my girls from crying.

"Rei-chan, you liedddd!!!"

"You told us-- you'd be--" Sui sniffed way too many times, "Back immediately--"

"I'm never trusting you again!!"

"I'm uh," I spoke up hesitantly, "sorry."

"Rei-san, are you really alright now?" Tsuna asked for the 30th time now, "Like, seriously? You're not lying or hiding?" he sounded skeptic but the concern in his voice was real.

"Yes, I'm alright." I answer him with a sigh, "Do I look like I'm lying?" I smiled at him. Also, you have that crazy intuition of yours. I'm not lying, really.

"Rei-san, do you need anything?  Like water or--" Haru was trying to be helpful, but was obviously frantic.

"Hm? Oh-- uh, water, please."

"REIIIII!!!!" came the screaming voice that was quickly followed by nurses telling him to be quiet.

My father barged into the room, his suit disheveled and his form the sweatiest I've ever seen him-- and engulfed me in an embrace.

"Dad, you stink."

"Spare me the lecture, Rei, I just got back from France."

I sighed and leaned on his chest.

"A total count of ten fractures, and not all of them were clean-- You had a concussion too, but I'm glad you don't seem to have any memory loss. You muscles are all horribly strained, and youu have about twenty-five stitches on you, which is why you're not supposed to be moving anytime soon. Aside from that... minor malnutrition, I guess."