95. Neutral

95. Neutral

"Let me see him," I whimpered, my voice pathetic even as I held back my teas, "Please, Amano-san. Just for one minute."

"We can't, and you know exactly why, Rei." Amano held me by the shoulders. "Look, you just had a panic attack. Try to calm down and have some rest, please."

Looking at him through the emergency room glass window, I found myself lost.

I want to be nearer, I found myself thinking. I want to cry, but I don't want anyone to see. I want to cry on his shoulder, but I can't.

Lying on the bed, surrounded by white, white white that didn't suit him at all-- he lay there lifeless as a log of dead wood-- eyes closed, breathing faint, not moving an inch. The smile on his face was gone, and he was stuck in that neutral face-- the neutral, neutral Takeshi I loved, but now, with him in this state, I could do nothing but hate it.

"I'm really sorry, Rei," Amano spoke softly, in that sullen, down tone everyone hated, "We did our best, but there's a high chance he may never be able to walk again."

Clutching the edge of the glass window-- I gritted my teeth.

"He'll be fine," I spoke up, to both myself and to Amano. Turning to the doctor, I pulled lips into a smile that did not manage to reach my eyes. "He's Takeshi, after all!"

Swallowing my tears, I headed straight back to my room.

-

"You want to what?"

"I'm not wanting anything," I insisted, pulling on my jacket, pulling on my wristband and opening my drawers to gather some stuff. "No matter what you say, I am going to the inheritance ceremony with you guys."

Reborn's face remained empty and expressionless, but I could feel the sense of irritation he seemed to shoot at me with each gaze. 

"And what makes you think we'll bring you along?" Reborn taunted.

He made a point, I sighed.

Sitting down on the bed, I turned to Reborn and tried to smile. "Takeshi was attacked in the gym storeroom, late at night, after a club practice with the Shimon Transfer Student, Mizuno Kaoru." I told him, "Mizuno Kaoru claims to have gone home earlier, so the culprit would have approached Takeshi in the times between."

This much, Reborn obviously knows.

But Ninomiya Rei has to establish how much he knows.

"Takeshi was stabbed... no, impaled once through by a large, spear-like weapon, through the abdomen." I spoke surprisingly calmly, without a stutter or a voice crack. And Reborn listened in an equally stoical manner. "Blood lost was critical, survival chances are close to zero. Even if he survives, he will not be able to work well again as Tsuna's Rain Guardian."