86. My

86. My

As quickly as I could, I pulled out the box weapon from my coat pocket, held it up and slammed the lit Void Ring at the key knob.

Byakuran took steps away, wary of the box. The smile was still on his face, though, and he seemed not the least bit alarmed. Just-- interested.

The box weapon shone a purple light, and it opened outward.

Out came a light grey... mouse, I assume, and instantly it crawled up my arm to my head.

"A mouse?" Byakuran and I said in unison, absolutely appalled at the situation. The mouse seemed incredibly excited, going 'Mii! Mii!' as if it had missed to see me and loathed being trapped in its box.

"What did my future self even manage to do with you?" I whined, "god, and I was so confident!"

Feeling embarrassed by my own confidence that ended up having no base, I looked back at Byakuran, expecting my imminent death--

"HAhahaahaha!!" 

I found Byakuran laughing in guffaws, holding his stomach in the hilarity of it all. All traces of his prior hostility and deathly threats gone-- I realized my nerves had settled as well.

That previous state seemed like nothing now. It seemed like a different person altogether...

Was it because of the Flame? I felt warm inside. Warm, and calmed.

I felt incredibly composed. In this state, I could only believe I was strong enough to take on the world. To jump around and dash with all my might-- like Drew once used to do.

But I knew better than to move on impulse.

The grey mouse, screeching its excited 'Mii! Mii!' scurried down to the back of my palm-- and approached the ring, seemingly aiming for the flame. Wrapping my other palm atop the one with the ring, I let the mouse crawl onto my other hand instead.

Bringing it closer to my face-- the mouse tilted its head curiously.

I chuckled. "I'll name you Mimi," I decided, "Since all you say is 'Mii', 'Mii'." 

For a moment, I thought the mouse had smiled.

Lifting my head so my eyes would meet Byakuran's-- I sighed. 

"Sorry about it all, Byakuran," I told him, seeing he had stopped laughing and was now eyeing me with no more intention of murder or battle. "It seems about time for you to go."

Byakuran had his mind elsewhere-- but focused on me eventually. 

"Yeah," he simply said, cracking a close-eyed smile at me, surprisingly threatening despite his lifted, sing-song tone. "But I'm not letting you go next time we meet, alright?"

I breathed out a sigh of relief, "Well, thank god for the chance of living for another while."

-

The beams of light firing off in all different directions were incredibly hard to dodge. It was as if they sensed for flames, and only headed to directions where there was a target.

Well, carrying Lambo, there are two targets right here!

"Mimi, I know I just barely got you out, but do you mind hiding somewhere safer than on top of my head??" I wasn't trying to shout, but I had to raise my voice in the panic and dodging.

The mouse squeaked a few times, but quickly crawled though my hood and under my coat. Its little paws scampering around tickled, but I had no opportunity to complain. 

I was running as hard as I could right now, begging with all my might that my lungs would hold out-- at least until I reach the base again--

My ring was still lit-- or, maybe it was lit because of Ghost's influence, so I couldn't put it out-- regardless, it wasn't exactly getting sucked out yet. I could feel myself staying calm due to the flame, but I knew that this flame was also the reason for my anxiety.

turning back, I managed to catch sight of one shot of light right before my eye--

It was way too close for comffort, and in a second it would hit me--

My foot twisted over a tree root, and my knees buckled, my entire body crashing right down into the green field. Pain exploded in my foot, but I could only be incredibly grateful that Lambo didn't get caught up in the fall.

The beam of light missed me, I could faintly register. 

My right foot was torture to have. 

I dragged myself and Lambo over to the shelter of a tree-- and turned to my foot.

Pushing myself up slowly, I cringed repeatedly at the throbbing agony in my ankle-- slowly, I relaxed, and waited the pain out for one moment before I tried to move it.

It took ages to do, however slowly but surely, burning with pain in each nerve, I managed to twirl the ankle around once. 

Breathing out a sigh in relief, my shoulders loosened. Mimi whimpered, I suppose in worry, by the crook of my neck. 

"I'm alright," I told the mouse, and I told myself, "It's not broken. Just sprained."

I was breathing heavily now.

My head felt heavy-- and now that I managed a rest from all the running, my mind ached and my vision had to refocus. This wasn't good, not at all.

Then it occurred. The force that had been sucking in Flames this whole time-- grew. It seemed to explode in volume, sucking even the flames from my ring that I could not extinguish. 

It threatened to draw even my whole body in, but the tree I leaned against was my final holding fort. I clutched Lambo tight, leaning into the tree and begging from stability--

My strength spilled out, I felt woozy, my strength all left me as if they never belonged to me--

I didn't catch myself whimpering, crying out.

-

It all came to one sudden stop-- and I was thrown forward.

Managing to put Lambo to the side, my legs felt like nothing-- the next moment I was just hacking up. I couldn't even catch my breath, I was just melded into a mixture of nausea and a migraine.

All I could register was pain, blood, and stomach acid.

I don't know when I stopped hacking up, but I was eventually focused on catching my breath. Black and white spot filled my vision, my heart thudded in my head, sending aching pangs through my head-- my mouth tasted disgusting and my throat boiled.

No, I forced myself to stay conscious, Not yet--

Using the tree as a heavy support, I pushed myself up on my good leg, clutching Lambo with one arm. Although slow, if I manage to get through to the trees, I can make it back to base. It's not that far away now...

Just a little longer...

I have to stay awake.