48. Walk

48. Walk

"Hey, Rei, why don't you just stay over at Mama's place?" Lambo spoke up from my arms, lifting his head to face me.

I let out a dry chuckle. "If Tsuna-san and the others find out I got into a fight, I'll be in trouble!"

"Eh? Why?" Fuuta asked.

Here it is. The overly curious questions of overly curious children that would stupefy every adult out in the world.

"Well... they just will, I guess." and I settled with that.

Lambo jumped to the ground, and I caught sight of the junk in his hair. A grenade, a box of grape candy, a small pouch of something and-- is that a slingshot? Something shiny glinted, reflecting light from the moon.

A ring.

My eyes narrowed.

We were walking around quite an isolated area now-- and so, I looked up towards the shadows the rooves further away-- to the left, and to the right, searching for something.

I spotted a silhouette. It was a man, wearing a long overcoat, the collar of it covering the large of his face-- and the silhouette was there for only a second.

I snapped towards I-pin.

She was two steps away from me, so I dove forward and pulled her back-- just in time to avoid a rapier aimed to drive straight into her skull.

I barely managed to avoid it too, the sword clashing into the gravel between my feet.

A little taken aback, but the man did not falter. He quickly raised his sword, the blade turned upwards.

I cursed as I realized that the tip of the blade would slice my jaw.

I-pin jumped out of my grasps, and with a loud warcry, she landed a sharp, solid kick at the man's wrist. The rapier jumped out of his hands, clanking as the hilt hit the gravel.

No more time for bewilderment.

I had clumsy movements. The awkward positions my limbs had to move through, and the constant failure to coordinate my limbs meant I made an inelegant struggle to get up.

But this isn't the time to worry about that, Rei!

Fuuta was already running ahead. Scooping up Lambo and I-pin, I sprinted.

Ultimately, outrunning an assassin wasn't possible, it seemed. He was fast-- fast, and experienced. It only took him three steps-- one to boost him off the ground; the next to land on the wall; and the last to boost him off the wall.

Is he a fucking acrobat or something?? Even Drew couldn't do that in the spur of the moment!

I was facing a sword coming straight down towards me--