49. Encount

49. Encount

When I woke up, all I wanted was to go back to sleep. I wanted to just go back to sleep, and preferably wake back up in my old world.

I clenched the sheets, and I bit my lip.

"Stop it, Rei," I growled at myself, "You're over that now."

And so, I breathed out, and got out of the bed. I slapped myself on both cheeks, and looked in the mirror.

I pulled my cheeks upward.

My smile didn't reach my eyes.

"Seriously, Drew, you're terribly at lying!" Eve scolds me, dabbing at the scratch on my elbow with a cotton swab dabbed with alcohol. "You're terrible at acting, you're terrible at keeping secrets, you're terrible at even making excuses! Is your brain full of acrobatics too?"

Eve, Zen, and Drew. They were always good in one, average in the next and terrible at the last. Drew's strong point was her inane reflexes. She could do magic tricks here and there.

However, acting and lying were things she could never do.

It was frustrating.

The now empty box sat on the table, waiting for the hairclips that were long lost. I closed the box, and tossed it to the back of the closet.

I'm over it now.

The Varia Arc's begun. I can't be wallowing in regret now, It's a despicable waste of time. I looked in the mirror again, at the bangs that were hanging over my face.

A smile cracked naturally onto my face.

"Well, I look like an anime character now, don't I?"

-----

"Mornin'!" I grin, entering the classroom.

"Good morning!" a few calls went up, and I recognized one voice as Kyoko's. "What happened to your face?"

I noted the little band aids around my face, and chuckled. "Got scratched up by a cat." I let the rehearsed lie slip smoothly out of my mouth.

"Oh no," Kyoko sounded worried, but was giggling, "You should've been more careful!"

"Sorry, sorry." I chuckled awkwardly. Thank god we had long sleeves, because the bruises on my arms were far from nice to look at.

Spotting Takeshi at his desk, I send him a smile before heading to my own seat.

"Hey, what happened to those pins, Rei?" Takeshi was quick to notice, and there was a hint of concern in his tone.

Concern. Ah, how long had it been since I've started wearing them? I've bragged countless times to him about how much I loved them, too.