18. Magic

18. Magic

The Athletic Festival was a season everyone got really excited for Class Battles. You may be wondering why time passes by so quickly in this story-- or perhaps, it's too slow for your liking, but your lovingly lazy author references the manga too much to revise anything.

All that aside,

Ninomiya Rei was a student that had nothing to do during this time. To be frank, people would scream bloody murder if he so much as touches a basketball. He didn't want to see what would happen if anyone saw him participating in sports.

Every day was a half day for him during this season, because everyone's frantic and busy for preparations. Classes are stalled, and Rei's not allowed to help either.

I think you're getting tired of that third person by now, but to sum all that up-- I'm free!

-

Pulling up the bow of my green tailcoat, I tucked my hat into my head. Picking up the shining green mask from the desk, I laid it at the bridge of my nose.

My hair clipped up with the hair pins that contrasted my theme colour, I looked in the mirror and my lips curled into a movie smile.

Clown Shows were my thing-- they were Drew's thing. The Athletics Festival Season was akin to my Magic Show Marathon, an annual special event. This was a job and I should have been accustomed to it-- but each time, I felt the jitters of stage fright tickle my senses.

"The show must go on," I reminded myself of something Drew once loved to say. 

This was something I had to do, as Ninomiya Rei and as the reincarnation of Drew Cite.

My right thumb trailed across my left wrist, feeling the faint different where my skin was scarred with a pale design. Bringing it closer, I closed my eyes and touched my forehead.

"Please watch over me, brothers," I whispered to myself.

-

"Ladies and Gentlemen," the camera flickered to life, and I sat on my bed, waving with a smile. "Welcome to Cite's Circus. This is Rei on scene, and I hope you enjoy the show!"

Bouncing out of the bed, I spun to my back and produced a wand from my wrist, tossing it to my back and catching it with my other hand-- multiplying it to ten and held each one in my fingers.

"Now, my little listeners," I grinned, "what do you wanna see today?"

Cute comments flooded the video screen-- magic, what else? C'mon, hurry on. Just get it on, kid. We're waiting, and I couldn't resist the giggle that rumbled from my throat. With a flick of my hand, the wands in my hands blurred out to two-- one in each hand.

"I think everyone would love some puppies," I suggested, swirling the wands in circles at each hand.

"Eins, Zwei-" I began, and at "Drei!", the wands morphed into two stray kittens, leaping from my hands and landing gracefully on the ground.