Chapter Five

"I ran and ran and ran. I ran until I fell legs first into a ditch the size of Wonderland itself."
—Me, 'Hollows In Time'
_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

Results are always daunting. From laboratory experiment to exam results, there is not one on the scale that isn't the slightest bit significant.

But results like these? They make you go crazy. The anticipation for them will keep you up a night; it will wander around in your nightmares. It'll follow you, night and day. It'll haunt you, every single second.

When you're told the results, it's either good or bad. There will be no in between, no settling. You get what you're given, and if you don't like what you're given, you tumble down into a hollow, dug by life's problems.

"Mr Fahr is awake and responsive," it wasn't the news I wanted, but I was still relieved. But I needed the other half. I needed my other half. Please.

"Miss Forest–" my heart started racing. It was so furious that I could hear it. "–the transfusion and operation went to plan–" the relief that hit me in that moment was instantaneous. I couldn't stop it, and I couldn't anticipate it. It was overwhelming.

"She is not awake, nor responsive, but she is perfectly fine."

I felt so light; I thought I'd grow wings and fly away.

I grabbed the doctors hand. "Thank you." I tried to hold back the relieved tears, but I knew I'd have to find a secret corner later to hide in to release. He nodded at me, removed his hand and left.

"One of you two must have really good luck, because it's not me." I stared after the doctor, just pondering on how lucky we all were. Sky Forest lives to see another day. Oh, and Jameson.

Jace snickered at my joke, but Mrs Beaufort was less than amused. "Are jokes your instinctive solution for everything? I do not think that this kind of natural instinct is desirable for a trained Guardian."

"And, what are you? A trained booty-call?" They both fell silent.

"Excuse me?"

Well, crap.
I guess I'm facing my first Hurricane Elle.

"Well, you only seem to turn up when someone calls you." And then I knew I was screwed.

Jace jumped in. "Okay, that's enough," he aimed this at me, shooting me a glare. I rolled my eyes at him, but was, deep down, very upset that he had done the maths and somehow come to the conclusion that I was the one to blame. Seriously?

I heard Mrs Beaufort grunt. "Off course, the peacemaker. Family ties hold you tight."

I froze, seeing Jace go rigid in front of me.

"You know nothing about my family."

Well, crap.

I hadn't known that Jace had a trigger, but everyone does, of course. And his, apparently, was the subject of his family. I should've jumped in, but I was too intrigued. Curiosity killed the cat. Or the obsessed, nearly-eighteen year old, girl.

"Of course, family secrets are best kept in the back garden, and I'd never trespass into someone's property."

Well–
Stop, Lexi.