Chapter Sixty

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

I watched Jace pack up the rest of our tent, having folded the tent and shoved it into a bag.

After the bonfire, we had begun packing up the camp as soon as possible. Some of us wouldn't even be washing today due to our rota, but it was safety first.

Jace noticed the frown on my face and slowed, watching me as he folded up the duvet.

"What is it?" He asked, concern suddenly appearing in his eyes.

I sighed. "I don't understand what the person said."

Jace's expression turned grave, though I also saw a flame of anger in his eyes.

"I don't think anyone did." He replied, stuffing the duvet into the bag I was holding.

"If they're not after Sky, then who?" I asked, though mainly to myself.

"There is another Special One here." Jace said, grabbing the pillows next.

I shook my head. "No. There wouldn't be two armed men at our campsite for Sapphire Davis, no offence to her."

Jace laughed, though without much humour. "I don't think that's quite as offensive as you think."

I stared out into the distance as Jace pushed the pillows into the same bag I was holding.

"Why did he aim the gun at us?" I asked, feeling a dark cloud settle over my mind suddenly.

Jace sighed, stopping whatever he was doing. "I don't know, Lex, and trust me, I'd love to help you," I drew my eyes over to him, my heart melting and just the sight of him. "Why don't you ask Elle?" He offered, returning to his packing.

I shook my head. "She's going to be stuck to Sky for a good one-hundred days," I told Jace, who was about to respond when Sapphire, Jonah and Jim returned to camp.

"Corpse be gone." Sapphire announced, making me scowl at her. I dropped everything, literally—I think I saw Jace re-packing the stuff as I marched over to Sapphire.

I grabbed onto her arm, yanking her body to the side so that she was facing me.

"Whoa–" Jonah begun, but I shoved him away from me.

"Do you have any respect?" I seethed. She frowned. "Some of us are a little more shaken up than your pyromaniac arse." I spat, eyes especially on Sky.

Jonah almost stepped in, but Saph held her hand up to him and began to talk.

"This pyromaniac arse just saved your life—for whatever it's worth. I think you're forgetting the gun was aimed at you, at Jace."

The whole entire camp stared at us.

I took a step forward.