Chapter Eleven

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I glanced over at Jameson, seeing him already piecing together a plan.

"Call Jace," he announced suddenly. I frowned, "tell him you're about to die."

I did a double-take, my fingers twitching as they hovered over the call button. "Wait, what?"

Then Jameson threw his leg into action, kicking the door with such force that the wooden barricade caved in, making it easy for him to then smash himself into the double doors.

One singular armed man stormed up to the entrance. Jameson scrambled to his feet, before running out towards him.

"Jameson!" I screamed. "Remember they always have at least one bullet!" But he wasn't listening.

Crap.

"Alexi?"

I recognised the voice.
And that wasn't a good thing.

I span around, seeing the figure dart out from the shadows. But the sound of grunts tore me away.

As I turned, I saw the armed man recognise Jace as a threat, throwing Jameson to the floor—who seemed to go down without much effort at all.

The man outstretched his arm, not even spotting me as I stood off to the side. Realising what he was going to do, I threw myself into the air, ignoring Jameson's shouts as he too jumped.

And then the gun shot went off.

I went stumbling into the wall, catching myself before I smashed my face into the wall.

I could feel someone's arms around me, trying to stabilise me. Then they said something weird. "You weren't shot, Alexi."

I furrowed my eyebrows, looking up to see the heavens had opened. Well, not exactly. But I was gazing up at Jace.

Then, like the true Guardian I was, I figured out what Jameson's plan was.

Jace was the bait. I was meant to be the rescued lamb. And Jameson did all the work, shoving the gunman to the floor so that the bullet didn't actually hit me.

"–what is wrong with you?" He yelled at me, breaking me out of my thoughts. I blinked, feeling puzzled as I realised what had just transpired.

Jace still held onto me.
Even though my body shook with anger. Well, I thought it was anger.

"You nearly got him killed!" I yelled back, eyes wide in disbelief.

Jameson swore under his breath. "He was the bait. I just didn't know that you were stupid enough to fall for it too!"

The anger boiled up in me, sending me through a frenzy. So I lunged for Jameson.

When all efforts were stumped, I realised there was a problem. Jace.

I span around. "Jace, if you don't let me beat the holy crap out of this impertinent fool then I will make sure that your Jace Junior never sees the light of day ever again." I spat, taking out my anger on him.

But Jace didn't even flinch. Instead, he just held me, just staring down at me. I didn't realise what he was doing until I felt my breathing return to it's normality. He was distracting me with those galactic eyes. He was trying to hypnotise me with his mere presence.