Chapter Fifty-Five

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I frowned, thinking I had heard something from Jameson's mother. I had been focusing too much on Jameson and his father to know. I enjoyed watching Jameson as he familiarised himself with his parents and the house, a grin on his face and a light in his eyes I only rarely saw.

But it was all torn away when his mother had spoken. I still didn't know what she had said, but glancing in the direction that she was looking in, I saw that Alexi knew.

Soon enough, Lexi felt my eyes on her and glanced over at me. She knew that I was confused, yet did nothing and ignored me. Her eyes were on Jameson's mother as she approached the group, heading in Lexi's direction.

Jameson's mother stopped in front of Jace, eyes wide and filling with wonder, but also with tears.

"Jackson?" She asked, eyes chasing all of his features. I felt my frown deepen, until I joined all the dots.

Oh. Crap.

My eyes found Jameson, who was slowly and reluctantly piecing things together. I'm not sure he realised what was going on, however, until Jace replied with,

"Mother?"

Everyone fell silent.

I think everyone just faded out—it was just them in this moment.

My mum, who had gravitated towards me in all the weirdness, quietly spoke up. "Why does this group have a recurring theme of mummy issues?" She asked, the retort making the edges of my lips upturn, though I should've refrained from responding.

I watched Jameson's father also realised the commotion, then start to move over to the pair. And that's when Jameson's mother embraced Jace.

What the hell is going on? When Jameson's mother pulled away, and his father pulled Jace in for an equally warming hug, I started to tune back into everything else again, frowning over at Lexi. Lexi stood with her back towards me. She could usually tell when I was staring, but didn't turn to face me.

So I let my eyes wander over to Jameson, who was staring open mouthed at the exchange of hugs. Then, I watched him stalk over to his parents and Jace.

"What the hell is going on?" He asked, the confusion and hostility radiating off him.

His mother and father exchanged looks, and then glanced between the pair.

Jameson's father cleared his throat, "Jameson, this is your older brother, Jackson."

Jameson stared. Jace stared.

Holy

"No," Jameson said, objecting, "that's Jace." He said defiantly.

Jameson's—and apparently Jace's—mother frowned over at Jace. "You changed your name?" She asked.

"Yeah," Jace responded, removing himself slightly and becoming more hostile. "I shortened it and borrowed your maiden name."