Chapter Twenty-Eight

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I think I choked, but I was too in shock to know for sure.

"Lexi and Jace?" Sky asked, contributing only a little of what was probably happening in her mind.

Elle nodded, smiling. Jameson, however, was less than amused.

"Him?" He spat. I would've defended Jace, but I suddenly forgot how to. Jace and I as a pairing? Holy hell.

Elle nodded at Jameson with understanding. "I know it'll be hard, Jameson, but you have to understand; it's a good pairing."

"How?" Jameson asked, seeming less than convinced.

"Well, Alexi is training Jace, it's like an apprenticeship. How can they be parted now? It wouldn't work." Elle explained.

"But surely someone else can just train him. Why does it have to be Alexi?" Kim asked, stepping out from the shadows.

Elle smiled. "Do you want to confuse the poor man? I know it's probably routine for Guardians to be trained by many different guarding instructors, but we need this done quickly. And they've already begun."

Jonah scoffed. "As if he's already made progress."

At that, everyone turned to look at me. I stared at them, pulling a face, "do you really need to ask? Of course he's making progress." Jonah raised his eyebrow at me. "Okay, well, if we were back at the Academy, he'd be about 10% through the whole course–" I was interrupted by Jameson and Jonah sharing some sort of mocking laughter.

I stared at them. "–and that's only what I've taught him. After an observation of everything else, you could probably add another 15%," I shrugged, "just because of the way he is as a person. His natural ability for non-fighting skills could probably add 10%, and then you have the fact that he isn't stupid—unlike some people here–" I was staring at Jameson and Jonah, so I think they knew I was talking about them. "–so I'd add another 5%. Overall, I don't need to do the maths to tell you that Sky will be just fine."

When I was done, I jumped when someone started to clap. It was Elle, of course, the strange, blonde mythical witch. "Perfectly done," she said, I bowed my head with a smirk. I would have given a speech, but we had little time to spare.

"So Jace and Alexi with Sky, and no objections," she said, eyeing Jonah, but especially Jameson. "But now we have to figure out a pairing for Cassie and her baby."

I looked up at Jace as everyone begun to discuss this, and he looked terrified.

I placed a palm on his arm. "It'll be okay. We've still got some training to do, but you're almost ready." Jace nodded, looking down at me to give me a grateful smile. According to Guardian standards, I was being a little too optimistic, but it didn't hurt to be overly generous sometimes—right?

I think Sky was watching as we shared our private moment; Guardian senses told me, but I didn't look around to see for myself.

"–well Kim was her original charge, and a good one." I tuned in just to hear this statement from Sapphire.

"And I agree, Sapphire," Elle said. Sapphire looked taken aback by the use of her full name—I don't think she'd been called it in a while. "But we also need another Guardian, one that can be equally as close to Cassie." Elle looked around, looking for the Guardian that she was describing. Her eyes laid on Jameson.