Chapter Fifty-Six

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

"Jace, wait!" I screamed into the distance for the seventh time. He was pretty fast for someone who isn't a Guardian.

I broke into a bout of sprinting, catching up to him. I grabbed ahold of his arm, turning him around to see his face, his eyes both angry and hurt.

Out of breath, I just watched him avoid my eyes.

I spoke up to prompt him, "Jace?"

It was only his name, but he immediately crumbled. We were in the shadows, next to some random canoes around the corner of the house, and so I suspected that's why he let his guard down.

Tears began to fall from his eyes, and so I quickly embraced him, trying to shield him away from the world. It was hard, since he was relatively taller than me. But we managed it, and soon he was sobbing into my neck.

"I'm so sorry, Jace." Was all I could say as I held him. I felt tears prick at my own eyes at the sight of him like this.

Jace and Jameson, admittedly, had some similar features. This, however, was different.

Jameson fought for control so often, and Sky was left trying to peel away the mask he wore. When he did lose control, though, he often did it with anger.

Jace, however, was different. He had bouts where he lost control, but I don't think he ever tried to pretend he had it in the first place. He put on a calm mask for his clients, but he wasn't a liar otherwise. When he breaks down, he isn't afraid to. Though, I've never seen him in this much hysteria.

Finally, he pulled away, but slowly. He rubbed away all the tears, covering his face with his hands.

"I'm sorry." He said.

I frowned up at him, shaking my head. I reached up to grasp onto his wrists, pulling his hands away from his face and holding onto them. "You don't have to be sorry. If anything, I'm sorry."

Jace shook his head, looking down. "It's not your fault." There was a period of silence before he next spoke, clearing his throat. "I know now how Sky felt, and," he said, suddenly looking up at me, "that wasn't your fault either." I felt my heart warm slightly, in awe of how he manages to keep me from feeling guilty though he is breaking inside.

He sighed. "I guess I knew there was something. I don't know."

I frowned. "Would it be better if you didn't know that he's your brother?" I asked him, making him flinch slightly.

He squeezed his eyes shut. "I don't know. I left my family home when I was fourteen and sought refuge with friends. Jameson would've been eight or nine. When I realised that wasn't going to work forever, I left at seventeen and started my studies to go into my job."

I listened intently, not speaking up until he was finished. "Did you not realise that he was your brother by the name?" I asked him, making him shake his head.