Chapter Eighteen

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

When morning came, I woke up frazzled. It usually took me a while to adjust in the morning—if it wasn't just a short nap—but waking up in a random hotel room just made it worse.

I was especially frazzled when I realised what I was pressed against.

Jace.

In the middle of the night, or at some point, I must've rolled over in my sleep, and my head rested on his shoulder as he laid on his back. He rested the side of his face on the top of his head, and, weirdly, his left arm rested around my waist.

Maybe the position wasn't just an accident.
Maybe he woke up in the middle of the night and realised.

Maybe I should stop speculating and get out of bed. And so I did. I slipped out of Jace's hold as carefully as I could, and he seemed to be fine, but I remembered what he had told me last night about him being light sensitive during his sleep. I fretted that he would be the same to movement and sound, but he only turned around.

I watched him for a few moments like a creep. He looked peaceful when he slept, kind of cute too.

With a warm smile, I hauled my hamper with me to the bathroom. I yawned, before I started to get ready for the day.

The most basic of clothes laid waiting for me in the hamper, along with a waterproof light brown coat with built-in thermo material. I would've liked a scarf too, but the black woolly hat would have to do for when we left the hotel.

I reached up to start to weave my hair into a French braid on the back of my head; I felt as though it would be the most practical way to wear my hair. I wouldn't be fighting, but it would come to no surprise if I would have to start doing back flips like some warrior Jedi or something.

As I was finishing up, I heard movement from within the room. I tucked away a few wisps of hair before lifting my less heavy hamper and exiting the bathroom. When I did, I saw Jace hovering by the window, staring out into the distance.

"Have you seen this?" He asked, hearing me come in.

My heart sped up. "What?" I asked, rushing to the window.

Jace didn't seem to notice my worry, however, and instead gestured to the window. "It's snowing." He told me. I frowned, leaning around him to see that it was in fact snowing, and some had already settled. I shivered, seeing my breath on the window. I checked the radiator, only to feel that it was luke warm. Helpful.

"You're ready." Jace observed suddenly.

I hesitated at the change in subject, before turning to look up at him. I nodded, smiling, "good morning to you too." I said, watching him duck his head.

"Sorry, good morning." He said, turning to look back at me.

I grinned. "It's fine." I told him.

He stared at me for a few moments, before he said, "I like your hair like that," my heart expanded. "It's nice, but still practical." He observed, almost reaching out to touch it. Oh boy, I nearly grew wings and flew away.