Chapter Eighty-Eight

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

I watched Cassie shake her head, my lips pursed.

She frowned at me, "Lexi, I really have no loose ends—you already tried with me five times last week."

I pulled a face at her, "Well I'm trying again." I told her, tapping my notebook with my pen.

She rolled her eyes, setting Colton down, "What do you really want, Lexi?"

I sighed, sitting down on the edge of her bed, "How did you manage to contact your family outside of the Academy? Special Ones aren't allowed to do that, right?"

Cassie laughed, "There are a lot of things I know that I think you'd be surprised at."

I pulled a face, "Yeah, but I just want the sane ones, please."

She smiled, shaking her head, "Elle obviously had a huge input in Sky's life at the Academy, as you may know, but she also controlled a lot of other things," I gestured for her to go on, "she was feeding money into Sky's account at the Academy, which made her unusually richer than the rest of us, she also had an input in the choice of Sky going home—Elle voted for it, thinking that she would be able to keep a closer eye on her there."

"How do you know all this stuff?" I asked her, utterly confused.

Cassie shrugged, "Avery has been feeding me theories for a while now; she spend an awful amount of time with Toby so maybe ask him."

I shivered, disgusted, "No. Resorting to Toby Espan is like accepting death."

Cassie laughed but shrugged nonetheless.

I sighed, "What about you? Why could you get in contact with your parents?" I asked her.

Cassie smiled, "Some families are not told that their loved ones are being taken to an Academy to protect them, some are. My mum funded my time at the Academy."

I gaped at her, "And you never thought to tell anyone this because..?"

Cassie smiled, "What's the fun in that?"

My face fell and I clenched my jaw. "I officially hate you." With that, I brushed past her and left her room.

As I was walking to mine and Jace's room, I almost bumped into the unlikely pairing. Avery and Toby.

"Lexi," Toby greeted, "it's nice to see you."

I hummed, eyes flickering between the two, "Looking at something different will refresh your pallet," I watched Avery frown, exchanging a glance with Toby, "if you'll excuse me." I brushed past Avery, sighing and shaking my hair so that it fell behind my shoulders.

I opened the door to my room to see Jace slipping a shirt on. I closed the door, alerting him that I was there and he noticed the frown on my face when he looked over at me.

"Where are you going?" I asked him, setting down the notebook and pen.

"The presentation that you and Elle are holding with that mysterious notebook." He told me, buttoning up the shirt.