Chapter Seventy-Seven

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

"Sky!"

I rolled my eyes, reloading my gun. Jameson came out of nowhere, falling down at my side.

"Are you hurt?" He asked frantically.

"No, but they will be."

Jameson tried to pry the gun from my hands. When it seemed I wouldn't be giving up the gun, he tried using words, "Sky, this isn't safe."

I ignored him. "They almost killed Toby, almost killed Alexi, and almost killed Cole—they've also killed Carter, Angela, Zack, Sapphire, and my father—my dad, Jameson, and my friends."

Jameson swallowed, and I think I saw him shaking. "Sky, I can't let you do this, I'm sorry, I love you too much." I paused, watching the tears gather in his eyes. But the maternal instincts were way stronger. I shot up and sprinted, heading for a place riddled with monsters. I knew this, because my mother had briefly mentioned it last week.

That's when I started to hear more screams, but they were in a lighter tone. I didn't stop running, and then I saw the black figures once more. They pointed their guns at me.

It was at that moment that someone jumped into my line of vision. When I saw dark brown, almost black, waves, I knew instantly who it was.

"Go, Lexi!" I shouted, trying to push her away. She gripped onto my arms tightly.

"No," she said, breath laboured, "I know why you're here, but I also know that that's the reason I don't want you here."

I looked around Lexi, seeing the guns rise, "Lexi, seriously, go—please." I was begging now. I didn't want her to die because of me.

She shook her head, "If you go down, I go down." I stared up at her, realising that she was far too good for me, Jameson too.

"I need to kill them." I whispered, watching her face crumple slightly.

"Sky–" the gunshots sounded out when she spoke. When she lurched forward, I knew something was wrong. I heard people screaming names, but I no longer knew what to respond to.

Then an angel appeared. She darted over to us, standing in front of us with her arms up. She was breathing fast and heavily. I watched her body shake, but she did not seem scared. I always knew she had potential—but I didn't think she'd do this.

Bria Winters.

"Bria," I whispered, holding onto Lexi tightly as everyone around us fell silent, "what are you doing?" I asked. She didn't respond. I gulped, looking down to see Lexi open her eyes, her fingers wrapping around my arms. "Bria, they'll shoot you." I said, though louder this time as I became panicked.

"Drop your gun." Bria ordered.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "They'll shoot us, Bria, this is the only defence I have."

The wind circled us, as if trying to force us and our enemy closer across the distance of the muddy field. I think rain clouds hovered over our heads, too.