Chapter Eighty-Seven

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

"Maybe she just guessed," I suggested, watching Lexi pace, "you did say yourself that they kind of look alike."

"You said that?" Jace asked, from beside me. But Lexi wasn't paying attention. When Lexi paces, you should be concerned.

"No, Sky, she can't be that smart. I said I thought they looked similar, you partly agreed—so why wouldn't we know for certain?"

"Because..." Jonah began, "It was just speculation."

"But that's what I'm saying—we know for sure, so why did she sound so certain if she doesn't know for sure? Meaning she knows." Lexi said, gripping at her hair.

"Maybe she was just bluffing," Kim offered, "I wouldn't put it past her."

"No, neither would I," Lexi said, "but she can't have been."

"Maybe Jameson told her in bed." I glared at Toby, the culprit of such an awful thing to say.

"I never got into bed with her." Jameson responded, making me smile.

"It's obvious that you all think I'm overthinking it, so why don't I just take my calculations somewhere else?" Lexi offered, her temper clearly rising.

"We don't think you're overthinking it," Elle said, "we're just trying to think of other explanations than being paranoid all the time."

"Paranoid is good, paranoid keeps you alive. What doesn't keep you alive is believing that every person in the world has goodness in them. They don't. Mel knew that Jace and Jameson are brothers; someone told her, and whoever did it is out to get us. You guys can sit here and make an Amelia Brown Bible, but I'm going to go do something actually worthwhile." With that, Lexi span around and stormed out of the room. We all stayed silent for a few moments after she slammed the door.

Until Toby spoke up, "You should really try taking her clothes off, she seems stressed." He was addressing this to Jace, who glowered at Toby.

"What we should actually try," my mum began, narrowing her eyes at Toby, "is going after her to make sure she's okay."

We all exchanged glances.

"Seriously?" My mum asked.

"Go, Elle, we've got it covered." Jim said, offering her a kind smile. I tried not to notice Kathleen's burning eyes on me when I looked over at him. She was subtle sometimes, but not always.

My mum sighed, straightened out her top, before leaving the room.

The room discussed potential other reasons for Mel's intuition, before moving into topics that were not productive. I sighed, rising from my seat. Jameson's eyes met mine, and I told him with mine where I was going. He nodded, and so I left.

I was headed nowhere, trying to find my mum and Lexi. I stopped outside of the library, hearing voices inside. I knocked on the door, before I opened it and walked in.