Chapter Thirty-Two

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

"We have no neural allies."

I rolled my eyes, leaning against the wall with my arms crossed. "You are the neutral ally; just go tell her to get off the phone so we can get a move on."

Jace gave me an uncertain look. "I'm not neutral; she hates me."

"Dislikes," I rephrased, "she hates me." Jace shook his head, but sucked it up and walked over to Sky, who was leaning against the wall, her right shoulder pressed to it as she engaged in a conversation with Jameson, who was on the other side of the call.

When he had first called, she ignored it a few times, then declined a couple more times. When she finally picked up, she shouted at him in an angry sob kind of way.

Now they were absolutely fine.
Great.

When Sky saw Jace approaching her, though, she didn't exactly seem joyous. That made me feel better; at least she's not fine with absolutely everyone apart from me. That would be hurtful.

Sky pulled the phone away and the pair quickly engaged in a quiet conversation. It was very quick, in fact, that Jace was by my side once more in the next moment.

We watched in silence as she ended the call, and then strode off, walking straight by me.

Taken aback, I held out a hand in question. "So one minute I'm her best friend and childhood Guardian, next I'm a hallway wall?" I asked, feeling the annoyance creeping up. With that said, I followed after her, watching her greet her new tribe—we could name them a Botched job Bria, and Something else Sapphire.

Inventive, I know—their mothers were geniuses.

I was more than surprised when I saw our new sitting arrangement in the car. The Terrible Three had stuck themselves in the middle, leaving Elle very confused. In fact, across the last three hours, I have never seen her look more confused and vulnerable.

I sighed, stopping in front of her.

She seemed to be waiting for Jace, then she said, "who's driving?"

"I'd love to," I started, "except I think I might ram the car into a tourist attraction." I finished, teeth clenched.

Elle's lips flattened. "Okay." She said.

"I'm not sitting in the back alone—do you have any idea how demoralising that is?" I then put in.

Elle frowned. "I never suggested it." She responded, seeming deflated.

"Good." I concluded, hearing Bria giggle in the car. I knew it was Bria because neither Sapphire nor Sky giggled like a five year old.

"I could sit in the back?" Jace offered. I suddenly became very detached.

"No." I responded defiantly. Neither one of them questioned me, in fact, neither did I; I wasn't sure why I didn't want him to sit in the back.