Chapter Fifty-Two

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I
(on a scale of one to POV change, how shook are you?)

I leaned into Jace, feeling myself slowly declining. Today was a hard day—especially because I almost died. But, you know, just a usual day at work otherwise.

"Lex?" I hummed in response. "Are you good?" Jace continued.

I nodded. "Oh yeah, real good." And then I tripped. Jace caught me far before I went pummelling to the ground, and that's when I realised that his reflexes had improved by a mile.

And then he called out for Elle. Romantic.

Elle fell behind, and she suddenly appeared before us, taking in my state. She halted us and used the time to press a hand to my shoulder, as if to comfort me slightly.

"Alright, guys! Here is good!" She called out to the others, who had continued to walk.

I could see that 'here' really wasn't good at all. It wasn't as covered as our previous camp had been, and it wasn't far away enough from the cliffs.

But I saw that look in Elle's eyes. It was kind of worried, kind of grave—it told me that she thought she had no other option.

The others reluctantly set up camp, though none of them seemed very tired, unlike me. Again, I did kind of almost die, so I guess there's a reason.

Elle instructed Jameson and Sky to cook as she sat me down, pulling out her first aid kit. She observed me once more before she looked over to Jace and gave him a kind smile.

"Can you give us some privacy?" She asked him, "and tell the others not to come down here?" She asked. I was too tired to look up at him, but I did see him walk away.

"Okay," Elle said, eyes tight with worry as she looked at me. "I'm going to undress you."

I chuckled. "You didn't need a first aid kit for that, Elle."

Elle shook her head, but I saw the small smile on her face. "You have a weird sense of humour, Lexi."

I think I thanked her, but I was too exhausted to know what I said. Soon enough, though, Elle had cleaned wounds and dressed them, before pulling my (now clean) clothes from the first day out of my bag and helping me dress. I must admit, the outfit was way better than the last.

When we were done, Elle guided me over to the first tent that was up, sat me outside and begun to set up inside for me.

"I've made you a suite." Elle said, appearing out of the tent.

"If you did that, you definitely need more credit than you get." I responded, watching her smile as she helped me up and into the tent.

"You okay?" She asked once I was settled.

I snuggled into my duvet. "I'm hungry." I told her, to which she rolled her eyes at in response. She left without actually informing me when dinner would be ready, which kind of hurt.