Chapter Forty-Three

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I yawned, tapping at the laptop that Jace had let me borrow. I was in the library once more, like I had been for the past forty-eight hours since the showdown—if you'd call it that—between Elle, Richard and I.

I still despised them for that.

I wasn't a stranger to rejection—it had just been so long since someone had underestimated me like that.

The quaint library in the nook of the, very big, house was my favourite place at the moment. Not only because I could escape the Beauforts, but because I could do extra research.

I hadn't really done much though; I think I was too caught up in what had happened forty-eight hours ago. Jace noticed this, and told me to distract myself with other matters.

So he gave me the laptop, and I was now contacting Clara, Sapphire's Guardian who had stayed at our second base, awaiting our new team. Sapphire and Jonah had brought over reports from Clara—private investigations she had done to find out who were traitors and who were not.

She had cleared the following names:

Toby Espan
Jack Storrey
Tina Bline
Kathy Scott

Only four names.
And only two were familiar.

We had Toby Espan, the scoundrel that Sky somehow befriended. I could be slightly biased on my opinion though, only because his brother was such a turd.

Then we had Jack Storrey, Jameson's closest friend since he joined the Academy. It was a weird pairing; the thriving warrior Guardian, assigned to the Special One with the highest vulnerability rate to date, and the...guy who fixes motorbikes.

Though, I must give Jack way more credit than I do—he was our escape plan, or, was meant to be. Jack's part in the plan was to provide us with the transport to leave the Academy. It was supposed to happen at 12:05—but we encountered some...problems.

We hadn't heard from the pair of them since the mission, and so I was grateful to hear of their existence.

I didn't really know, however, who the following girls were. I guess this is where we start to open our doors to people we don't know, but who are not traitors.

I recognised Tina's name from training, and so I knew she was a Guardian, I didn't however, recognise the final name.

I quickly composed a reply to Clara, telling her to bring them to our second base, ready to join our mission—roughly on the tenth of February.

That gives us a week.
That gives me a week—a week to either persuade Richard and Elle, or run away from this stupid house.

"Hey, stranger."

I didn't jump at the sudden voice, but I was acutely startled.

Okay, I jumped.
Discretely, though.

I turned in my seat, seeing Sky enter the room. She grinned at me, her heeled boots clipping against the floor as she walked.