Chapter Fifty-Four

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

"–you can't let this disturb our mission."

I rolled my eyes, becoming increasingly annoyed at Elle for her assumptions on my non-existent relationship with Jace.

"It's none of your business. And I wouldn't be so unprofessional as to let it disturb the mission." I snapped back, watching Elle remain unsatisfied.

"It will, Alexi, it's love." She responded, voice firm.

I uncrossed my arms, leaned against a tree trunk and sighed. "If it is, it's unrequited love." I told her, feeling suddenly aware of the pain my body was still in. It's as if the adrenaline from the argument had just misted out and disappeared into the wind.

Elle watched me for a few moments. "Well, the response I saw from him back there after Jonah's remark shows that he at least cares for you." She replied, making me scoff.

"Yeah, 'cares'." I kicked at the ground. "And anyone would get fired up at Jonah; he's annoying."

"Seriously, Lexi, why do you choose the worst people to like?" Elle asked, suddenly breaking out of her seriousness.

I narrowed my eyes at her. "There is nothing wrong with Jace."

Elle smiled, and then took a step back. "That's exactly what I mean. You defended him. What's to say that you won't defend him instead of Sky?" With that, she retreated, leaving me alone in the woods.

I kicked at the ground, a bout of anger consuming me. Last night didn't exactly go to plan.

Jace only shut up after I kissed him because he was in shock. He just froze. So, it went great. After the kiss, he told me that, whilst he appreciated the gesture, he just wasn't sure that it should happen again.

He basically told me to just stop coexisting beside him. I was very thankful that it was dark in the tent, because I was both almost in tears and bright red.

But, we won't talk about that now. I am a woman with little care for others' opinions. Somehow, I managed to shut off that part of my brain that would've said: 'except for Jace's'.

After kicking the ground a couple more times, agitating my already wounded legs, I set off back to the camp. I stormed in, ignoring anyone and everyone, beelining straight for mine and Jace's tent. I swiped my toiletries from inside before storming away once more.

Since I had changed back into my spare clothes last night, I didn't really have anything else to change into. Everyone came with two sets of clothes, and we had to wash our first set just in case. This ended up coming in handy. Except, I now only have one set, since my second set were ruined. So, whilst everyone else had a new outfit to get into, I just had...what I had left.

I sighed, looking down at my outfit and wondering how I could spice it up. I'm no fashion designer, but anyone could see that I am literally wearing designs by TrainWreck&Co.

I freed my hair from my braid, smiling down at the curls that had formed. Then I swung my hair over my head and pulled my hair into a tight high-pony, my curls as the finishing touch. I couldn't see myself, but I think I looked hot.