Chapter Eighty-One

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I tuned in and out of conversations, aware only of Jameson as he traced circles on the back of my hand.

He leaned into me slowly, saying, "I'm sure your mum won't be that angry."

I smiled, "She'll behead me and castrate you." I whispered to him, aware of everyone else around us.

He shook his head, "She could never be angry at Noah."

I bit the inside of my cheek, shaking my head at him, giving him a silent answer. Feeling eyes on me, I turned to see Jace looking over at us. He smiled at me when he saw that I had caught him looking, and I hesitatingly smiled back.

It was then that the door flew open, a raven-haired angel appeared, with an eagle-eyed dove behind her.

Everyone froze, heads snapping up to see what the commotion was about. It was then that Lexi held up a thick book and a piece of paper above her head.

"I know where the cryptic messages are coming from." She said, eyes alive with victory but also with rage. It was a dangerous combination.

She slammed the paper and the book down on the table.

"Remember the previous death list?" She asked everyone, and those who were there nodded, "Remember that it was signed off?" She asked next, "N.Y.A, from TP-MA?"

Everyone nodded, itching for the answers. She smiled.

"TP-MA," she said, raising the paper she had brought in, before unfolding it and revealing another set of words "The Ports-Mouth Academy'," I stared, knowing her conclusion before she even got there, "'The Portsmouth Academy'," she said, "the cryptic messages and the death list have been coming from the Academy."

There was a silence for a few moments before Bria was the first to speak up.

"We kind of already guessed that." She said, tucking her hair behind her ears so that we could see her face clearly.

"Well, now we know for sure," Alexi said sourly, and I turned to see her crossing her arms over her chest and narrowing her eyes.

"So you've spent two days figuring out the obvious?" Harry asked, joining Bria's argument. I turned to Lexi, feeling bad for her—until she started laughing.

"You," she said to Bria, "should be more surprised that I actually meant to succeed in finding something, since you're so useless," Bria's mouth fell open as she stared at Alexi dumbfounded. I bit at my lip, sensing a storm coming.

"And as for you," she said, whirling on Harry, "you're the poorest excuse of a Guardian I ever did meet—please know that you're only here out of sympathy, and if you piss me off one more time, you're out."

With that, Lexi spun around, slotting the paper into the book and slamming it shut.

"Come back when you have better information!" Harry yelled at her as she turned to leave.