Chapter Seventy-Eight

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

I sighed, running my hand through my hair as I poured glasses of water for me and Jace. I couldn't help but feel as though I had vacated my body. Today had both challenged and shocked me.

Sky and Jameson are having a child.

And only I knew.

"Lex,"

I jumped with such a fright that I knocked the jug of water off the side, sending a tsunami across the kitchen floor. Jace was at my side in a second as a string of profanities fell from my lips.

"Lex," he said, repeating my name as I threw bundles of kitchen paper to the floor. He said my name once more, gripping onto my arm to stop me slipping when I tried to bend down to clear up the mess.

I froze, feeling as he steadied me. I tried to avoid his eyes, not feeling like trying to explain myself like I knew he would want me to do. It's a therapist thing. When I did look at him, though, he was already gazing down at me with eyes tight with concern. Then I realised I was shaking.

"Lex, I'll clear it up, it's fine." He proceeded to say, before guiding me over to the dining table and persuading me to sit down.

Jace cleared up the water with a mop that was in a cupboard a metre away from the spillage.

As the mess was being cleared, I turned into the table and held my face in my hands. Moments later, I felt a hand touch my shoulder before hearing a chair being moved from beside me.

"How am I a Guardian when I can't protect anybody?" I burst out, feeling as my eyes stung. There's a certain type of ache in your face when you're trying not cry—which I did a lot.

"You're not supposed to protect anyone but Sky." He said, then I felt as he pressed his palms to my back, and he started to rub circles into it gently.

I shook my head, "That's what I'm saying—I couldn't do that. I can't protect anybody," I had a feeling that Jace was about to respond, but I went ahead. "I couldn't protect Carter, I couldn't protect Sky when she got locked in that hell of a place, I couldn't protect Sky and Jameson when the loft exploded at the Academy, I couldn't protect Sapphire, I couldn't protect Sky when all she needed was to tell me that–" I froze, lifting my head to turn to Jace. "I can't tell you that part, at least not yet," I told him, hoping he wouldn't ask any questions.

Jace's lips upturned into a small smile. "See, you're protecting her now."

I stared at him, confused at his ability to be so optimistic in this moment. He reached out to grasp onto my hand, holding it in his larger ones. "We all make mistakes," he said, making me frown.

"That might be true but mine have resulted in deaths and broken hearts." I sighed, pulling my hand from Jace's, feeling his eyes watch me as I did so.

"I'm going to make sure that Sky is okay," I said, before rounding the table and leaving the room.

I thought I'd try Sky and Jameson's room, but only got so far when I heard voices coming from the living room. I frowned, following the voices and coming to a stop when I could make out what they were saying.