Chapter Sixteen

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

The credits were rolling when Jace began to wake up. I glanced over at him, before sitting up. He grunted, slowly opening his eyes. I watched him with a small smile forming on my face.

But when he started to sit up, I had to pretend like I wasn't smiling. Like I wasn't in love with him.

"What happened?" He asked, confused, taking in his surroundings and peering at the rolling credits.

"You fell asleep." I told him, watching him come to terms with that. I smiled, not being able to stop myself. "And you think you could've had a room to yourself?" I retorted. I tried to speak softly—sometimes I have a harsh voice. Like rude, or just loud. At times, I wish I had Sky's voice—it's  so soft and delicate; it could calm a murderer if she tried.

He stifled a laugh, swallowing as he sat up. "Maybe not." He admitted, smiling at me. He looked hot when he was disheveled.

"Do we have any water?" He asked. I snapped out of my head and hummed in question. "Water. To drink." He elaborated. I frowned, but then finally got myself together.

"Um," I said, jumping off my bed. "Let me see." I checked the hampers first, finding small 250ml bottles of water in each. I threw one to him, before realising what I had done. I froze as I watched him catch it.

He quickly snapped open the lid, before frowning over at me. "What?" He asked, hesitating.

"I just–I thought you wouldn't catch it." I told him honestly, scratching my left arm.

He scrunched up his face. "How could you doubt me that much?" He asked, taking a swig of his drink. I didn't respond, but I did smile to myself.

I found a small fridge on his side of the bed and kneeled beside it. I pulled the fridge open and was welcomed by six bottles of water, along with other refreshments.

"We have much more than water in here." I observed, pulling two one litre bottles out of the fridge. I felt Jace slip off the bed and join me at looking into the fridge.

"Alcohol," he acknowledged. I nodded. "I don't think you're of the legal age to drink." He said. My mouth fell open as I turned to shoot daggers at him, it was then that I realised that he was joking.

"That was mean." I said, shoving his shoulder. I watched him grin, showing that he had an expression that wasn't his therapist face, nor his Sky loving face. Just him.

I watched him open the litre bottle of water and take a sip. "Did you want to open the alcohol?" He asked, gesturing to the fridge once more. I stared at him. I think he was being serious. He wasn't trying to mock me, he just wanted to know. Like he does in his therapy sessions.

I shook my head. "I have to stay mentally present in this line of work." I told him, picking up my water and strolling around to my side of the bed. Mentally present my arse; nothing that difficult is possible with Jace around.

He didn't respond for a while, and instead closed the fridge door and joined me on the bed. "So your job has its negatives?" He asked.

I smiled. "Does yours?" I responded. He frowned.

"I guess." He told me. I smiled, picking up the television remote.

"I've never really had anyone respond to my questions with questions." He said.