Chapter Seventy-Three

JUST POPPING IN TO SAY ITS MAY 31ST AND THE WRITER'S BLOCK IS IMMENSE WTF DOES ONE EVEN WRITTEEEEE

Jesus I swear if there's a fourth book I'll just be milking it

Bye x

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I threw the last box into the bin with a sigh, before tying up the bag and replacing it with another. I exited the bathroom, watching the rain hail down as if it were the last day on earth to supply water.

It had been a week or so since my dad had died, and the house still rocked slightly. My mum and Alexi had been icy, not just with each other, but with everyone. I'd also seen Lexi lose her temper with Jace a few times, though I didn't know if that was out of guilt for making out with Jonah or because of the death list hanging over our heads. The makeout session was still a secret she did not know I held.

Despite it all, wounds were starting to close and scars were starting to appear; my mum is trying to ignore the pain and Lexi is beginning to calm down slightly. Slightly.

It was nearing mid-March now; the April shower season was fast approaching. It also meant the season of new life, ironically.

Someone knocked at my door suddenly, and so I pulled on my dressing gown quickly.

"Yes?" I called out, fixing the dressing gown across my front.

Jace walked in. I frowned at him, though flashed him a smile.

He smiled in response. "Hey, Sky, have you seen Lex?" He asked me.

I furrowed my eyebrows, shaking my head, "no, though she's probably outside in the rain like an absolute weirdo." Jace laughed in response, eyes finding the bag of rubbish by my feet.

"Did you want me to take that down for you?" He offered, making me frown down at the bag. I bit my lip, before reaching down to pick it up and pass it to him.

"Thank you," I told him, smiling. He left grinning, and when he was gone, I took the dressing gown off, as though I had finished pretending. I thought about my dad at that moment; I didn't know how much I appreciated him until he left, and suddenly it felt as if my heart was a little lighter—and not in a good way.

The monsters proceeded to leave us sinister messages—my mum said it was as though they were trying to chase us out of our home. My mum was usually a fighter, but she had since found us somewhere else to stay. It was bigger and farther away from trouble than this house. Although I knew that we would be safer, I'd miss it—I'd miss the feeling of living with my parents in their home.

I rifled through what was left of my clothes in my cupboard, the rest were packed up, and picked out a jumper dress to pull over my tank top and tights. It was loose and comfortable.

I brushed through my hair before leaving the room, pattering down the corridor and towards my mum's room. She had changed rooms after the loss of my dad. I didn't blame her.

I knocked on her door before making my appearance.

She was folding up clothes and turned when I entered. "Oh," she said, "hi, Sky."

I smiled over to her, shutting the door and walking to where she was seated on her bed. I sat down next to her. "You're not packing too much, are you?" I asked her, watching her suitcase pile up.