Chapter Fifty-One

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I trembled as the tears rolled down my cheeks. The winds grew harsher as a light drizzle of rain started to spit at us, pinching our skin every so often.

"Lexi!" Jace called out for the hundredth time, the urgency clear in her voice.

"Stop now, there's no use." I heard Saph say, though I wasn't sure I could really hear much over the panic ringing in my ears.

I shook my head and clamped my hand over my mouth as a sob escaped. Jameson was holding me tightly, trying to comfort me—but I could feel his hands shaking.

Elle, who had been peering over the edge relentlessly, suddenly spoke up, saying, "I'm going to look." She tightened her bag straps before sprinting off around the corner of the clifftop.

I shook my head, feeling that it was all useless.

"The possibility of her being dead–"

"–don't say that." I said suddenly, lashing out at Saph, who had spoken.

I didn't mean to be so brash, but I could feel my insides churning with the most scariest panic I had ever felt consume me.

Alexi Abbot has just fallen from the cliff.
Saph was right; the possibility of her being dead was...was very high.

We all stood in silence for a long few moments, until Jace launched himself to the ground, looking over the edge. Jameson broke free from me and yanked him away, yelling something at him. I didn't know what they were saying as more tremors shook my body, I just knew that I could see the tears forming in Jace's eyes.

I watched him with a detached feeling. I knew there was something I wanted to question, but I couldn't remember what it was with a mind full of panic.

And then I did something terribly unexpected. I pushed through Saph and Jonah and did the exact same thing Jace had just done.

Except I was only half way to the ground when I was pulled upwards by Jameson, who held me close to him when he had got me standing again.

Then we all began to yell at each other.

"Well we're going to have to leave at some point!" Saph yelled. I narrowed my eyes at her, poison on the tip of my tongue as I prepared to argue with her.

And then she started screaming, eyes wide as she watched something behind me.

But I knew that the only thing behind me was the edge of the cliff. I frowned at her, watching her freak out with eyes full of tears.

And then I felt something grab at my ankle.

I turned quickly, though didn't move my body. There, I saw hands in black leather gloves, waving around on the cliff edge.

I recognised the gloves.

And the faint initials 'A.A' kind of gave it away too.