Chapter Seventy-Six

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

A mural.

With the brightest of colours, but with flecks of black—gold would be good too. Perhaps a frame, a gold frame.

Or even a statue.

A beautifully crafted stone statue—no, marble statue. With gold. I'm seeing a running theme of gold, just me?

"Miss Abbot, you are not going to die."

A fountain!

A big–

I removed my oxygen mask, "What?"

The nurse smiled at me, placing the clipboard back at the end of my bed. "You'll survive, Alexi, you just need to keep an eye on your breathing and use your asthma pump whenever you start to struggle to breathe. Otherwise, you're fine, though, please do contact your local GP or hospital if you have any problems or worries."

I stared at the nurse. "I'm not dying?"

She frowned, "Did you want to die?" She asked.

I furrowed my eyebrows, "Well, no, I don't think my beauty would last through death."

The nurse's facial expression didn't change, though I guess she was trained to maintain that—just like we were. "No one's beauty lasts through death."

I pulled a face, and she was soon gone.

I put my oxygen mask back over my mouth—just for good measure, and Jace soon came back into the room.

I removed the oxygen mask when I saw him holding a cup, "Is that hot chocolate for me?" I asked, peering over at it.

Jace smiled, "It's a black coffee, so no."

It was only a few hours after the explosion, and I had spent most of the time worrying about everything and everyone. Well, and planning my funeral.

"What did the nurse say?" He asked, blowing on his coffee before taking a short sip from it.

"She said many things. Basically, I'm not going to die, and I think my asthma pumps are down there," I said, reaching out and pointing over at the end of my bed. Jace left his coffee on the side-table and stood up to retrieve the pumps, holding them up to me.

"Okay," he said, "did you want to change?" He asked, holding up a plastic bag.

I sighed. "Alright then, let's see what nonsense you've bought me."

Jace scoffed before pulling out his purchases. I pursed my lips when I saw what he had bought.

"Safe choices." I nodded, pairing the top and the jeans together in the mirror.

"See? It isn't nonsense." Jace said, crossing his arms over his chest.

I rose my eyebrow at him, "The shoes, though, seriously? I think the Oompa Loompa's want their faces back."

Jace shook his head, though I thought I saw a small smile on his lips. "They were the only practical pair I could find." He explained, whilst I stared down at the monstrosities in the shoebox.

"They're orange," I responded, glancing between him and what I had to put on my feet.

"They're also trainers." He put in.