Chapter Eighty-Three

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

My mum stared at me for what felt like hours. I felt my mouth go dry.

"What?" She asked, confused and in shock at the same time. Her eyes were observing my face, trying to detect a lie where there wasn't one.

I swallowed. "I'm pregnant," I repeated, watching something cloud in her eyes. Maybe realisation, maybe worry, maybe anger. I couldn't be sure with my mum.

I sighed, looking away and down at my hands. I knew this would happen—so much for Jameson telling me it would be fine.

"But...how?" She asked, sounding more confused than anything.

I shrugged, barely able to meet her harsh glance, "I don't know," I told her, "we were using protection."

She was staring at me, drilling holes into me. I just couldn't meet her eyes.

"So you weren't trying?" She asked, sounding as though she was about to explode any second.

I exhaled, then shook my head.

I heard as my mum blew out a breath. "And you know for sure? You did a test?" She asked. I think she was trying to find ways to disprove something I knew was legitimate.

I nodded. "Seventeen of them."

"Seven–" My mum broke off horribly before she shot up suddenly. My head snapped up; I thought she was going to leave. But she didn't, she just paced.

She paused to lean over my dad's desk.

"Sky, this is dangerous." Was all she said.

I swallowed, feeling tears prick at my eyes, "I know–"

"We're leaving now, Sky, we're going to be out in the open for a maximum of three days before we reach the house—and you're not just one life, you're two." I watched as she clenched her fists. She was trying not to lose her temper with me, I could tell.

"Now?" I asked, unaware of the advances.

"Yes," Elle declared, "Alexi wants to leave," I held my breath. She spun around suddenly, "I can't make either of you happy," she said, "Alexi wants to leave but you can't."

I stood up suddenly, "But I can, mum, I want to leave—it's too dangerous here–"

"It's too dangerous out there too!" She yelled at me, making me jump. When I caught her eyes, they seemed to be more full of concern than anger. I watched her for a few moments, not knowing what to say.

"It's the same, mum, nothing changes," I promised her.

She placed a palm to her forehead, "You're pregnant, Sky, that changes more than you think."

She sighed and I stayed silent, not knowing what to say but also not wanting to upset her.

"Go pack, Sky, what's done is done."