Chapter Thirty-One

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I awoke feeling dread. Jace and I had gone to sleep at pretty much the same time, but I still felt detached. So much detached, in fact, that I slept a good three metres away from him, facing Sky's bed.

I think I cried a little.

But I'll never tell anyone that.

I dreaded the morning. I dreaded waking up to see Sky's sunken face, the feeling that she had been fed lies and only lies her entire life still a weight heavy on her shoulders. And I'd wake to Jace, still worshiping Sky.

Always worshipping Sky.

Despite the fact that I had withdrawn my body from him and gone to sleep far, far away from him, I still ended up in his arms in the morning.

Always in his arms.
Never in mine.

When I had gotten out of bed, after ripping myself away from Jace, I found that Sky had already left her bed—and the room, it seemed.

I bent down to the suitcase, choosing an outfit and taking my cosmetics bag with me.

I washed quickly, before getting dressed. I had chosen skinny jeans and a cropped jumper. Jealously is looking good today.

I brushed through my hair, seeing it bounce with the natural kinks weaved through it. I then decided to curl it, since it was already curling up on it's own. Fortunately, my hair held curls pretty well, so I could easily curl my hair into big waves, and they'd probably last until tonight.

Finished with my hair, I brushed through them with my fingers, hearing Jace move around in the room.

I moisturised by face with a B.B. cream, needing the moisturiser and the coverage. With it on, I looked better than I had done in a while—guarding meant that I hardly had time to look good. But, if everything went according to plan, our group would have breakfast here before continuing onwards. Maybe then I'd have time to always look good, not that I need makeup for that—nor does any girl—of course.

I applied a coat of mascara and a tinted lip balm before I sprayed myself down with my favourite perfume. Then I was done.

As I left the bathroom, I ran into Jace. He was holding something in his hand. "Your phone was–" when he saw me, though, I paused for a moment. "–ringing." He finished, handing me my phone.

I barely nodded at him, glancing down at the phone screen, seeing that the person who had called me was Jameson. I immediately called him back whilst I slipped on my trainers. He answered almost instantly.

"You called?" Was how I greeted Jameson, seeing Jace disappear into the bathroom in the corner of my eye.

"How's things on your end?" Jameson asked, sounding mildly worried.

"A few broken hearts, but that can't really be helped. Otherwise perfect. We stopped off at a hotel overnight; I'm guessing it'll give your group some time to catch up." I heard a few muffled words over the phone, and I wasn't quite sure what was happening.