Chapter Ten

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I ran my thumb over the skin on the back of Sky's hand, trying to ignore the cold surface. I was aware of Jace glancing over at us for the tenth time since we'd been in here as he stood by the window, apparently 'keeping watch'—even if he didn't exactly know how to do that.

After our part in the mission was successfully completed, Jace and I made our way back to Sky, as Elle and Jameson would partake in the next part. Though, separately. I have a feeling they made the plan that way because they didn't want to communicate with each other. I personally feel as though it would've been a good idea; Jameson needs to create a bond with his mother in-law, though he has yet to find out that Elle is Sky's mother.

Jace went back to staring out of the window, probably watching the sun rise, the pink and red lights turning a pale yellow as the crisp morning air settled.

I pulled the blanket tighter around Sky, acknowledging that the temperature in here wasn't satisfactory.

"You're a good Guardian, and friend." I jumped slightly, not realising that Jace had shifted so that he stood a metre behind me.

I turned to raise my eyebrow at him, but kept my body facing Sky.

He smiled. "You obviously have compassion for her, and you can just tell by the look in your eyes when you're around her that you'd risk your life to protect hers. You're a good Guardian, a good friend." He finished, reiterating his earlier point.

I flushed slightly, and so turned back to Sky, letting my dark waves cover my face.

I smiled. "Thanks, that means a lot." I heard Jace approach me, and then the screech of a chair being pulled up.

He was sitting beside me.

"I mean it," he said, picking up Sky's other hand and holding it between his to, as I guessed, keep it warm.

"Even–" he broke off, and I turned to see him with a face full of anguish, his appearing blank, as if he wasn't there in the moment.

"Even last night, with the fire. You put your life on the line to save her without a moments thought..." he trailed off, gazing off into the distance as he pondered something. At least, I thought he was pondering something; I still haven't acquired the full book of 'Understanding Jace Clarke's Facial Expressions'. Though, I'm proud to say that I've got quite a few down.

"...if Sky didn't have the emergency contacts ready, would you have risked your life for her?" I thought that the look on my face would pretty much sum it up, even though I was surprised he wouldn't already know the answer.

Obviously shocked, he stared at me, evidently trying to understand something that was so foreign to him. He didn't understand the necessity to protect her life.

"But–" he paused, taking a moment to collect himself. "But it wasn't just her you were trying to save, it was Jameson too...wasn't it?" He asked, staring deeper into my eyes—if that was at all possible.

I ducked my head though, turning back to look at Sky.

"Saving Jameson isn't in your job description, but you tried to do it anyway." I listened to him, closing my eyes, though he couldn't see that past my thick hair.

"Sky is put up on a pedestal for her consistent compassion and care for everyone, yet you've got a hidden good heart under all of that hard exterior." I revelled in it all for a few seconds longer before opening my eyes, turning so that he could see only the side of my face.