Chapter Thirty-Six

^ happy three month anniversary from this weapon !! ^

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

Darkness.
A knife.
Blood.

When you wake up to those images, you know that something isn't quite right.

I opened my eyes, trying to blink away the previous disturbing images. I woke up completely disheveled, confused to where I was.

I wasn't sure that I recognised the room, I did, however, recognise the ceiling as I looked up at it. Crystals.

I squeezed my eyes shut, and when I opened them again, I began to recognise more and more. Shimmering walls, bronze bookcase, the silhouette of a man–

I furrowed my eyebrows, watching the figure's shadow morph into something else. No. Not something else, someone else—someone else was there.

I think I heard them talking, but it was taking longer for my senses to function than they usually did when I awoke. If it hadn't been for the people at the door, though, I felt as though I was in heaven.

I yawned, "Jesus?" I asked, making the shadows halt and the voices break off.

One of the figures emerged from the hallway, followed by another.

Jace and Elle.

I smiled when I saw them. "Oh, hey guys; what's for breakfast?" I asked, stretching.

"Wait!"

But it was too late.

When I felt the sharp pain above my hip, it all came back to me.

Darkness.
A knife.
Blood.

I think that Jace and Elle could tell by the look on my face that I had remembered everything.

"Jace," Elle began, as she watched me cautiously, "get Jameson."

Jace left almost immediately as I felt my eyes go vacant as I recalled the past events.

Soon, Jameson joined us, and then Jace left, though I think reluctantly.

"Alexi." Someone said, shaking me gently. I came to, eyes refocusing to see Elle beside me and Jameson in front of me.

They were giving me concerned looks, and it made me feel trapped. And weak.

I knew I had failed. I had failed everyone here, and I had failed myself.

The intruders got away—and it was my fault.

"How do you feel?" Jameson asked.

I tried to play off the anguish that occurred in my head. "How do you think?"

"Do you remember what happened?" Elle asked tentatively. I turned to look at her. I had never seen her so cautious, so worried. So...maternal.

I looked away, staring at the shimmering walls. "No." I responded.

"Nothing at all?" She then prompted.

I gave her a deadpan glance. "You saw me just then, I stretched with no doubts—I know nothing."

"Are you sure?" Jameson asked, unconvinced. I didn't respond, but I didn't need to since Elle shot him a look.

"Why don't you rest?" She suggested. I shrugged, wanting nothing more for them to leave so I could let down my guard.