Chapter Seventy-Two

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

A L E X I

Gravity seemed to work slow sometimes.

As Richard started to fall to the ground, I could see that it had failed once more.

I could also see the pain in Elle's eyes as she fell down beside her partner as he hit the floor.

Gravity let Elle fall as she normally would; it just seemed to enjoy playing with those who had been struck by a bullet.

It was then that a storm of people rushed in, but this time, on our side.

We had beaten the enemy, finally, but at the loss of one of our own.

I could hear crying. Wailing.

That's all I heard.

I felt as someone grabbed ahold of me, and turned to see Jace looking down at me with worry in his eyes.

"You're okay." He breathed out, resting his forehead against mine.

I pulled away abruptly, peering over at the others. Elle held Richard, sobbing. Sky was in a corner and I could hear her cries too. I parted from Jace and walked over to where she stood.

I frowned at her, immediately seeing that she held onto the bulletproof jacket, but that it was held over her stomach.

"Sky?" I said, placing a hand on her arm. "Why do you have the sleeve over your stomach?" I asked her, frowning.

"Just in case." She whispered, though her eyes remained on Elle and Richard.

"But why not over your heart?" I asked her, glancing between the jacket that she was clutching tightly and her face. Her eyes were vacant, but her body was shaking and tears were falling fast.

"Lexi," she murmured suddenly. I hummed in response, prompting her to continue. "I didn't know for sure that he was my father until this point. Until he saved my mum's life."

"Sky," I said, frowning down at her, "don't say that." I chastised her quietly before I felt Jameson join us. I only gave him a look and then left her with him, joining Elle on the ground.

I watched her hold onto him tightly, as though he would turn to dust before her eyes if she let him go. She was sobbing, too; I had never seen her cry. Not really.

I let her hold onto him for a few more moments, feeling my eyes fill with tears—this was all too similar to what had happened with Sapphire. In fact, when I looked up, I could see her standing there. But at this moment, she didn't make me feel guilty, she made me feel at ease. I glanced between Richard and the ghost in front of me, and she did the same.

She was waiting for him. Wherever she was now.

I swallowed, placing a palm on Elle's shoulder and looking away from Sapphire.

"You need to let go of him," I told her softly, watching her squeeze her eyes shut as she held him tighter and closer, if at all possible.

"I know," she told me in response, though broke into more tears.

I knew that Elle knew how to cope with loss in a battle, but this is different. To lose the one you love...well, I could feel my insides churn just at the thought of it. I looked up at Jace at that moment, and then over at Jameson and Sky, just to make sure that they were okay.