Chapter Thirty-Seven

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

I woke up with a jolt, only realising moments later that I had rolled over to my side. The side with the wound.

In pain, I pushed myself up, pulled back the covers and peeled away the corner of my top, revealing my wound. It was dressed in many bandages, and I had it wrapped across my waist a few times.

As a Guardian, we had to cover medial training, but it was my lowest score. I still passed, with a percentage of 73%, which was actually highest than most—but I probably have the worst results out of all the Academy trained Guardians here for my medical skills. Kim was practically top of the class for her year group, and Jameson and Jonah pretty much got the highest grades of the year.

Well, crap.

I huffed in frustration, not knowing how to redress my own wounds—and I also didn't know where the stuff was.

Just as I was about to theorise about how to dress it with fabric—which I was surprisingly good at in school—I heard a creak from within the hallway.

I was about to yell out for help, when the person entered the room.

It was Jace.

I think he saw my expression turn thankful as he peered at me.

"Are you okay?" He asked, walking over to my side, and when his eyes trailed from my face to my wound, which I was cupping with my hands, they widened.

"What happened? Did you stretch it?" He asked, lowering himself, leaning in to take a look at my hip.

"Maybe..?" I responded, unsure. He glanced between my face and the wound before leaning down and pulling out a box of what I assumed was a collection of medial items and placing it on the side.

"So there it is." I murmured, though I think Jace heard me.

He observed the damage done before pulling out some scissors from the box.

I watched as he neared my skin. "Now, not to be annoying, but I think that'll just make it worse."

The edges of his lips upturned at that, and I watched as steadied his hand. "Don't move, or make any jokes." I smiled at that last part, though I didn't know if it was a compliment or just a throw-away comment.

I felt as the cold metal of the scissors grazed my skin, but he didn't cut me, he cut the bandages that wound around my waist. Once he had pulled away, I grinned, although he was busy taking the bandages off; he couldn't see me smiling at him.

"Nice job." I commented, watching him twitch in response. I think he was trying to nod.

He binned the bandages, before moving onto the last component of the bandaging.

"How are you with pain?" He asked as he found a loose corner of the tape.

I scowled at him. "I'm a Guardian, what do you think?"