Chapter Fifty-Nine

_________________________________

T h e H o l l o w s I n 
O U R F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

I tightened my ponytail. "I can't believe we're doing this again." I said, feeling already exhausted by the idea of it all.

I watched in the vanity mirror as Jameson came up from behind me and snaked his arms around my waist. "It'll be different this time—we'll move faster and we won't stop until nightfall. And then we'll wake up at dawn and keep going."

I smiled and turned around. "Your determination is hot." I told him in a whisper.

He laughed. "I can't tell if it's your age or me that's slowly making you lose your innocence." He quipped, making me scowl.

"I'd consider Alexi as a factor too." I said, walking around him and doing one last check of our room.

"Oh, of course, she's also probably the most likely option." Jameson responded, making smile.

He stood by the door, holding out my rucksack and my coat for me to take. I smiled at him, pulled on my coat, and then my bag.

"Remember I love you." Jameson said, just before he reached out to open the door.

I smiled over at him. "I always do, as should you remember that I love you too."

Jameson shut the door behind us, beaming.

"Major puke." I heard someone quip as they strolled past. Lexi. The next to pass was my mum, who both looked like she was chasing Lexi and judging us.

"Hey, guys." Someone else greeted us, and I dragged my eyes away from my mum and Lexi to see Jace standing in front of us.

I smiled as he adjusted his bag straps, "You sleep well?" I asked him as we started to descend the stairs.

He hummed. "Kind of. I think this house is weird." I nodded understandingly. Being here probably brought back weird memories for Jace.

When we reached the bottom, I was suddenly aware that we were the last to arrive, which surprised me.

I joined the crowd just in time to hear Lexi say to Jonah, "I'm surprised you made it down here before Goldilocks."

I rolled my eyes, joining her side. "I heard that."

We were silenced immediately by my mum, who called out, "do we have everyone?"

We responded with our names instantly, and I think Jameson's parents were acutely confused, but they said theirs nonetheless. And then we were off.

Like Jameson's said we would—he's always right—we were much faster than the first time. With Kath and Jim's added help on the area, and the fact that we had already travelled this route, we were soon making fast progress.

As the sun started to fall, it was noticeable that we had all begun to grow exhausted. My mum pulled us all to a stop just outside of range of the cliffs to set up our camp for the night.