Chapter Sixty-One

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

S K Y

"What do we do?" I asked, voice shaking.

My mum ran her hands through her hair; I had never seen her look so scared.

"We have to–"

"–you said no one would get lost." I said, eyes welling up as I began to grow frantic.

We had lost Jace and Alexi.

"Well we can't just stand around—we need to find my son!" Jim yelled.

My mum looked at me. "Sky." It was all she said, but I understood.

She was worried for me. She was worried that if she took us off track and into danger, I'd get hurt.

"I can do this, mum." It took one more moment, and then she grabbed onto my hand again, perhaps tighter than before. We ran out into the middle of the field, into the middle of the danger.

We didn't stop. Not even when the enemy started to approach us.

When it became prevalent that we were in danger, Jim yelled, "I've got them!"

All I heard next were a series of gunshots.

My mum tightened her grip on my hand and ran faster.

My body burned, but I did it all for Alexi, all for Jace.

I don't know why my mum had taken us this way—I think sometimes she could feel the danger.

We hit the woods in no time, and I soon ran into something.

It wasn't a tree trunk, however, since it steadied me with its hands.

I opened my eyes, which I had squeezed shut upon impact, and saw Jameson looming over me. His expression was grave and panicked. I was going to embrace him, when I heard yells from beyond us.

I ran around Jameson, beginning to make sense of the words.

"Lex, stop."

I heard sobbing too.

"Lex!"

I took a few more steps forward, and then I felt a coldness rush over my body.

I fell down in shock, watching from a metre away as Lexi scrambled around, blood all over her hands as she tended to what looked like a massive gun wound. On Saph.

My mum pushed through everyone, dropping down beside Lexi and assessing the scene.

"Lexi." She said.

"I have to–" the sobs jarred her words. "I have to help her. She's bleeding. I have to help her." The repetition was driving me crazy, and soon enough, I felt Jameson join me, wrapping his arms around me in an attempt to calm me.