Chapter Eight

"I've thought about you too much that, now I've met you, you've let me down."
-I created
_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

"No, turn your body to the left and swing with your right."

Jace huffed, frustrated. "You need to show me, I really don't understand what you're saying."

I paused, considered this, and then threw my body into the move.

Finished, I turned to see Jace in absolute, pure shock.

He blew out a breath. "I have no chance of mastering this." He muttered hopelessly, running fingers through his dark brown hair, though was considerably lighter than my raven black locks.

I frowned, stepping so that I stood in front of him. "I think you're forgetting that I was quite literally born for this; I've been doing this my entire life, you however, are twenty-something and a therapist. It'll take a while." I thought that I was helping him, convincing him that there was nothing to worry about, instead, he got a vacant look in his eyes.

"I don't know what I was born to do. I'm not close with my parents at all." I grimaced. Great job, Alexi.

I sighed, leaning back against a table. "I could probably say the same," I said, giving up on being encouraging. I looked away from him. "All my parents have ever really done for me is make my life hell so I learn independence." I shrugged.

"They did that just for your independence?" He asked.

I shook my head at him, "no, the independence came as a result—like paying the tuition fees to train at the Academy myself, for example,"

"You had to pay? Surely they would allow you to learn for free if it was to protect somebody's life." I glanced up to see Jace's eyes alight with confusion and anger. Anger at the system.

I knew exactly how he felt.

I sighed, rubbing my hand against my head, "some people do, but only the favourites. If Sky hadn't been a Special One, she would've been let in as a Guardian for free. That's just the way it works. They favour certain families."

Jace rolled his eyes. "Of course they do." I smiled at him, sensing that we could both fully relate. We were both figures in their board game. We had both worked for the Academy, even if it had been in two very different ways.

"What's wrong with your family?" He asked suddenly.

I looked away. What's wrong with my family? What isn't wrong with my family?

I sighed. "My dad was a no-show the entire time, though I'd rather him than my step-dad," I slipped into old memories instantaneously, "my mum was just the tap that kept dripping. I think all three of them were crafted out of Satan's blood." I lost myself in that moment, thinking about all the memories of my childhood.

Jace drew in a breath. "Do you hate them?"

I considered this, then shrugged. "Soon enough I'll be eighteen." It didn't answer his question, but I feel like he knew the answer.

I think Jace could feel my mood pummelling, because he said something next to try to bring it back up, "well, if you managed to rise up from that past, I think I can rise up to learn a few moves."

When I didn't respond, I could feel him cave in. I didn't respond because I disliked what he had said, I didn't respond because I was absolutely shocked and smitten. Are there any faults to this guy?