Chapter Twenty-Six

_________________________________

T h e   H o l l o w s   I n
O U R  F R E E D O M
_________________________________

Straightening out my top and tossing my hair over my shoulder, before smoothing it out, I tried to compose myself both mentally and physically after holding a small infant. Colton Wilson is very cute.

Cassie had come in minutes later, giving us plenty of time to marvel over Colton before he had to be woken up and fed. Cassie gave us a look as she took his hat off, tucking it in her jean pocket. It wasn't a rude look; I think maybe she had suspected that there was something between Jace and I. Well, as far as I know, the only thing between Jace and I is my obsession with him.

Jace had stayed behind for a few moments; I think he wanted to talk to Cassie, but to also be around the child for longer. I wouldn't blame him.

I, however, was quick to remove myself and get moving again—I suppose I was embarrassed that Cassie had walked in on a private moment. Even though it was with her child.

I entered the room in which Cassie had told me everyone had moved to with my usual armour intact: humour and bravery. A weird pairing, I know.

I rubbed my hands together as I spotted them all hunched around something. "So guys, what's going?" I asked, sounding too gleeful for my own liking.

I frowned when they all turned slowly. "Us." Sapphire said, crossing her arms over her chest as she leaned into Jonah.

I frowned. "What?" I watched as Sky broke away from the group, taking a piece of paper from her mother's hands. Elle watched as her daughter turned around and walked away from her without a word.

Approaching me, Sky said, "we have a problem." She extended her arm, handing me a sheet of paper. I took it, frowning down at the letters and numbers. As a Guardian, it took us no less than a moment to figure something out, but I always found it slightly difficult. I think it's my dyslexia.

But then I figured it out. It was an email log, a discussion. A discussion about us. The IP addresses were noted on the side, noting that one came from the Academy and one came from a rogue group around our location.

"They're moving." Elle said. "The Academy is feeding them all the information they need to track us, and they're coming."

"They came from Harry." Avery noted. "We stayed in touch since Ball."

"He's still there, Lexi." Sky whispered. "In a swarm of traitors, he's still there." I closed my eyes for a second, trying to organise my thoughts for a second.

"I know, Sky," I said, reopening them. "And lots of others are; we don't know who we can trust."

"We can trust him. We can't just leave him there!" She rose her voice, her compassion seeping through.

"He's a criminal, Sky." I said, trying to consider all options at once.

"He's proven that he is much more than that; he sent us this!" She said, almost yelling.

Faltering, I took in the group in front of me.

"No," I said, shaking my head. "There are already too many of us to consider, and we need the inside intel."